First Extract - please advise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast_muchly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi.
We have one hive bought in June time they have expaneded well and have nearly filled one super and they are drawing out a 2nd.Plenty of new bees and everything rosy.

Here is the slight problem,i bought an extractor ( manual 2 frame ) stainless steel.I took off 5 frames of the super last night leaving some for the bees of course.

While extracting 2 of the frames basically capsized in the centre foundation as well.Was I extracting to fast ?. Are you supposed to do it slowly then build up speed as the honey pours out.I am going to put these frames back in as I know the bees will sort them out anyway and I can carry on using them.But just wondered if this is common.And yes I did reverse the frames and extract again.

Also the super frames sn4's were totally full but I have seen comments you should expect 3lb of honey a frame and there is nowhere near that,so im a little puzzled.But I am new to this.I was sort of expecting 15'b of honey from 5 frames and filling 15 x honey jars,its looking like it will only be 3 or 4.Im not experienced but the honey is very very light in colour and were closer to gardens and an allotment but rape fields are in the distance but about 1 mile away.To me it looks like OSR honey but im not sure.

Thanks

Alan

Spin GENTLY for a short time one way.Remember, there is honey each side of the main rib and spinning will force honey out of one side but also try to force honey through that rib. Reverse the frames and spin for longer, reverse the frames again and spin the rest out.
I'd leave the rest for the bees.
OSR by now would have set like concrete. Have you any unspun set honey left in the frames?

Spin GENTLY for a short time one way.Remember, there is honey each side of the main rib and spinning will force honey out of one side but also try to force honey through that rib. Reverse the frames and spin for longer, reverse the frames again and spin the rest out.
I'd leave the rest for the bees.
OSR by now would have set like concrete. Have you any unspun set honey left in the frames?

No not at all the cells are all empty except the very odd one where ive failed to uncap the odd cell maybe its completely empty.

I guess im experiencing newbie common idiot mistakes lol :(.

I usually have very light honey: wild flowers and gardens and HB. No arable crops at all.

Tree nectar often gives a darker honey.

No not at all the cells are all empty except the very odd one where ive failed to uncap the odd cell maybe its completely empty.

I guess im experiencing newbie common idiot mistakes lol :(.

F-M, it very good of you to post the problems you had using a tangential two frame extractor, as it is means other new beekeepers are less likelly to make the same mistake after reading this thread

and just to say WE ALL HAVE DONE IT or similar in our first few extractions, it is the learning curve, We extracted 300lb of Honey on Sunday in a radial 9 frame spinner only to blow a few frames on the last but one spin due to being tired and too heavy handed with the speed button

Last edited:
If your extractor is tangential not radial, which I assume it is, being only 2 f, I agree with ErichA, you have to go gently to start and turn the frames to extract the 2nd side before increasing speed.

As for weight, try weighing the super before and after extracton, that will give you the true weight of all that you have removed, capping/honey. Alternatively as you are only extracting 5f why not weight them individually before and after extraction and you will really get an idea of what you have managed to get out. Compare your after extraction weight with a new undrawn foundation filed frame and you will see how much honey is left in it,(less a little for the cell wall wax)

Another cause of collapse in the extractor could be your extraction room is too warm, but doubtfull in the UK unless the heating is on full blast!

Another cause of collapse in the extractor could be your extraction room is too warm, but doubtfull in the UK unless the heating is on full blast!

Or the frames could be too cold. Honey extracts more easily when it's warm.

Hi.
We have one hive bought in June time they have expaneded well and have nearly filled one super and they are drawing out a 2nd.Plenty of new bees and everything rosy.

Here is the slight problem,i bought an extractor ( manual 2 frame ) stainless steel.I took off 5 frames of the super last night leaving some for the bees of course.

While extracting 2 of the frames basically capsized in the centre foundation as well.Was I extracting to fast ?. Are you supposed to do it slowly then build up speed as the honey pours out.I am going to put these frames back in as I know the bees will sort them out anyway and I can carry on using them.But just wondered if this is common.And yes I did reverse the frames and extract again.

Also the super frames sn4's were totally full but I have seen comments you should expect 3lb of honey a frame and there is nowhere near that,so im a little puzzled.But I am new to this.I was sort of expecting 15'b of honey from 5 frames and filling 15 x honey jars,its looking like it will only be 3 or 4.Im not experienced but the honey is very very light in colour and were closer to gardens and an allotment but rape fields are in the distance but about 1 mile away.To me it looks like OSR honey but im not sure.

Thanks

Alan

We've all done it. Probably because first time there is a vision of spinning the rotor at fantastic speed like an industrial centrifuge.
I was taught to spin GENTLY on one side, turn the inner side to outer and spin again then repeat but observe the droplets hitting the sides to judge when the cells are clear.
My 4 frame tangential manual extractor holds about 30 to 35 pounds of honey in the bottom tank section.

Hi
I don't feel so bad now, and have already taken on board the replies. Common sense when you think about it. But being an over eager beek I thought " right im going to get a ton of honey out of these and proceeded to turn them faster than the lads use to turn those manual roundabouts on old playgrounds to make you feel sick lol ".

Good idea about weighing before and after the whole frame another good common sense idea .............keep them coming lol.

At moment we have got quite a few pounds out not 15 but its a very nice amount....quite pleased infact very pleased.

one more thing I was going to put it through a common kitchen sieve. Tried it and it didn't go through,maybe because it wasn't runny enough but is there a certain mesh size honey has to be strained through.

And does it have to be strained at all,as the stuff were jarring looks as clear as a bell and the colour of a daffodil in spring.....looks stunning I could eat all the jars tonight....were feeling quite proud lol.

thanks all beeks that replied.

Guess it was too cold and hence not runny enough to go through sieve. Filtering removes bits of wax and bee which will inevitably end up in your honey at some point. Enjoy your first honey!

We ended up getting around 10lb of 5 frames so altho not as good as some were happy.

Hi.

Thanks

Alan

In short yes, tangential extractors are fiddly, as others have already advised. Spin slow both sides 1st before speeding up.

In terms of amount of honey in a frame. How fat were your combs?

attachment.php

A well drawn super of 9 or 10 frames on average yields 20-30lbs but imho only after the frames have been FULLY drawn out after 1-2years.

Latest posts

Back