First DIY candle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I have just made my first bees wax candle. I was a bit unsure if my wick would be any good, it was just some garden twine.I placed the wax sheet in a warm place, then just tightly rolled it around the string.
It light very well and has a nice smell. Think I will buy a few sheets and make a few.

How much do people sell them for?

Jim

I have orders some.
And doing a burn test on a few now.
I got 8in X 16in and cut in half to make 8in X 8in.
Going to sell for.
Natural 4in = 50p (cut in half again and made 2 candles.)
Natural 4in X 2 thick. = £1.00
Colored 4in = 75p
Natural 8in = £1.00
Colored 8in = £1.50
Spiral 8in = £1.50

see here for Spiral == http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/projectsforbeginners/ss/ssduorolledtapr.htm

Hi Mozie

How can you sell them that cheap? or to put it another way, how/where do you buy your material cheap enough to sell them at that price?

The best I can see on thornes candle making sheets work at at 79p each each + postage.

or just using un-wired standard deep foundation works out at about 50 each sheet.

I ordered over £100 of wax + wick from thornes, free postage.
Works out to around £300 of candles.
£200 profit.

10 colored sheets £9.99 (£9.91 for 50 sheets) makes 20 candles sell at £1.50 = £30.00.

Thornes selling at that price suggests that their costing structure is different from that above. i.e. suggests their costs are much lower so they can sell for lower price and still make a profit. To undercut them we would need to find za cheap supplier, or do it all ourselves.

I used to sell a pack of two rolled candles at ?2.80 that was two nat sheets of wax and they sold very well at that price. And that was 10 years ago.

PH

Latest posts

Back