First cuckoo

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your knowledge of the obscure is beyond panegyric (and coming from someone who seems to collect useless obscure information and mentally store it to the detriment of remembering what I went upstairs for this is epenetic)

I just learnt two new words...

No Cuckoos noted yet down here (Hampshire) but saw my first Swallow of the year on Friday.

I heard my 1st peacock this year yesterday.

Hi I posted in reply to @Antipodes who asked me to post one of the songthrushes that recently fledged their nest. Unless I misunderstood his request. Will post a cuckoo when I next hear one ;)

Ah, my bad then, I didn't pick up on that!

A song thrush, I wasn't too far from the mark then!

Ah, my bad then, I didn't pick up on that!

A song thrush, I wasn't too far from the mark then!
Yes close! The mistle thrush is bigger. We’ve attracted song thrushes here in the last couple of years, they don’t come to our avian restaurant (aka multiple feeders) , delighted to see them breeding. V varied song, quite a library of tunes.

Yes close! The mistle thrush is bigger. We’ve attracted song thrushes here in the last couple of years, they don’t come to our avian restaurant (aka multiple feeders) , delighted to see them breeding. V varied song, quite a library of tunes.
I love it in the autumn when the starlings visit. They are great mimics and I hear birdsong from wherever they've been all summer.

It's mealworm time in my garden. The first batch of my weekly order went out this morning. The Kites are getting extra chicks too while the female incubates and the pair rear their youngsters.

Last edited:
I have to drive along a wood land path to one of my apiaries and was confronted recently with a hen pheasant sat on the rarely used track. As I slowly drove towards her she made no effort to move until I was within about 10 feet when she stood up to reveal 9 chicks who scuttled into the undergrowth followed by mum. It made my day to see the youngsters. 😊

We don’t get them round here. Apparently a local farmer took exception to their way of life and shot all those he could find. He’s gone now but the birds haven’t rediscovered the gap in their migration pattern.

First cuckoo of spring on the forum, sadly no pic! @Antipodes
Heard it earlier, but sound was drowned out by barking deer, pheasants and the dawn chorus
Thanks! Beautiful and "traditional" Not like our cuckoo calls at all. Reminds me a little of our mopoke.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back