First bee-hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance c

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I know this is the wrong time of the year for starting a hive, but I aquired a hive this week and really need to talk to someone. With winter coming I want to make sure I am doing things right. Mainly on adding another frame and feeding.

1. What sort of a hive is it ?
2. Is it an established colony - where did the bees come from ?.
3. How many frames are in there already .. is it dummied down -is that the reason you are thinking of adding a frame.
4. Whereabouts are you ... there's a lot of difference between the South Coast of the UK and Finland ?

A lot more information will get you the answers you need but welcome to the forum .. the best beekeeping forum in the world. You are right so far ... it is the wrong time of the year to be starting a hive off but ... if that's what you have done there's no going back... getting your bees through winter is your first challenge.

It's a established hive and it only has one layer. I am from Oklahoma USA. I was told these bees was a captured swarm from another personal hive. I was told I have to add another box before I start feeding, but some reason that makes no sense to me. There is eleven frames in the box, I honestly have not open it up yet to check everything inside. It's definitely a very active hive so far. And honestly not sure what the best amount of sugar water to start feeding.

It's a established hive and it only has one layer. I am from Oklahoma USA. I was told these bees was a captured swarm from another personal hive. I was told I have to add another box before I start feeding, but some reason that makes no sense to me. There is eleven frames in the box, I honestly have not open it up yet to check everything inside. It's definitely a very active hive so far. And honestly not sure what the best amount of sugar water to start feeding.
So your daytime temperature is about 23 degrees in Oklahoma at present ... dropping to 10 degrees overnight .. still quite warm. It sounds like you will probably have a Langstroth hive but you really need to know what is in the brood box.. how many frames are drawn, is there any sign of eggs/larvae/capped brood ... how many frames of stores are there and that's without getting into the health of the colony.

You really need someone to help you and show you what to look for in an inspection ..and you do need to inspect the colony to see what they have got in the way of stores and brood in the box. It will depend a lot on when the swarm was captured and how long they have had to build up. It also depends on what forage (nectar and pollen) that is around in your area as to how much they will need feeding.

Have you had any experience with bees at all ?

I have no experience. Was going to association meetings but with the covid it has been cancelled till next year. The gentleman I aquired it from said the hive is a year old. He needed money so bought it off him cheap, but was honestly looking just to get a box, but got a box and bees. Planning on opening it up tomorrow but not sure what I will be looking at.

I have no experience. Was going to association meetings but with the covid it has been cancelled till next year. The gentleman I aquired it from said the hive is a year old. He needed money so bought it off him cheap, but was honestly looking just to get a box, but got a box and bees. Planning on opening it up tomorrow but not sure what I will be looking at.
I am a beginner, but have found that if I take photos and post them, the more experienced beekeepers are able to help more.
Good luck.

Maybe best to contact your local Association to see if there is a local beek who can offer /help out. Even with covid the pair of you should be able to maintain segregation to protect each other.

Maybe best to contact your local Association to see if there is a local beek who can offer /help out. Even with covid the pair of you should be able to maintain segregation to protect each other.
As with so much - it's a balance of risks. Getting/Spreading covid Vs Some/Better/Best support. Very personal decision. This forum has been a lifeline for the bees kept by those of us at the more isolating end of the covid response.
Post some pictures Lance. As othwrs have said the job now is setting them up for the winter, unless you're really unlucky I imagine even in your relatively warmer Autumn (than UK current)swarm control wont be an issue till spring. When you open up try to get some sort of objective description of amount of stores and then brood you see Eg palm size in 3 frames. Eggs can be tricky to actually spot to begin. You'll need to be able to distinguish between capped brood and capped honey - but the the internet does a fair decent job of giving some ideas/examples - try to have a rough idea before opening up.

I assume you have a smoker, suit/veil and gloves. I still use the gauntleted thick gloves, slightly frowned on here by some, but it gives me confidence in only my second year. Protect your ankles.

Come spring the learning curve is mostly about swarm control in my experience.

Last edited:
Get a book - best imo is 'Guide to bees and Honey' by Ted Hooper MBE. Amazon best site to get it from. Has everything a new beek will need to know and is great to dip into as the need arises.

Your feeding question: this time of year 1:1 syrup or fondant. If is still fairly warm were you are, probably the syrup for now - but you do need to open up to know they have somewhere to store it.
I think I'm right to say it's 1:1 sugar:water by weight but I don't think the proportions are super critical.

In the most part we don't know the geographical area in the US where Lance lives, so no idea of what forage he has. A lot of difference to the UK where at this time of year a lot of us will rely on Ivy or Balsam to help top the bees up. Practices will vary from country to country with also differing weather.
Even with covid, pretty sure two parties can act very sensibly if local rules allow. For instance the Trump rally recently seen on the news and not one mask in sight, at least beeks will usually be part suited up.

Last edited:
Your feeding question: this time of year 1:1 syrup or fondant. If is still fairly warm were you are, probably the syrup for now - but you do need to open up to know they have somewhere to store it.
I think I'm right to say it's 1:1 sugar:water by weight but I don't think the proportions are super critical.
This time of year you should be feeding heavy syrup - 2:1 which is 2 pounds of sugar to one pint of water which roughly equates to 2 kg sugar in 1.25 l of water

All I know about overwintering bees in the US is it varies hugely.

It is unlikely anyone here will have the knowledge to help you.

Try the US Forum Beesource Beekeeping Forums
Seems the most useful comment so far.
I have no idea what the Oklahoma local climate conditions are whereas one or two "locals" will know with first hand knowledge what conditions prevail. We can advise in general terms but boots on the ground are invaluable.
I agree about getting a decent book for reference and would have suggested the Dave Cushman website but it's no longer pure Cushman having been taken over since Dave's sad demise.
I was confined to barracks during the lockdown but in conjunction with a couple of younger Beekeepers I had mentored in previous years and who could visit newbies to provide observations and advice from a couple of metres separation it was possible to move forward. Not ideal but it worked for those that asked before taking inadvisable steps.

Get a book - best imo is 'Guide to bees and Honey' by Ted Hooper MBE. Amazon best site to get it from. Has everything a new beek will need to know and is great to dip into as the need arises.
Unfortunately, in the USA he's got a language problem with Hooper ... to be honest he's probably going to be better off with Beekeeping for Dummies ... written for the USA market ..

https://www.amazon.com/Beekeeping-D...ing+for+dumm,aps,250&sr=8-3#reader_B08FSY3HGJ
Not the best volume but ploughing through Hooper will take the OP all winter and even then he's going to need an English-American translator !

He's going to need some help now just to get them in to some sort of fit state for winter and I would agree that beekeeping in Oklahoma's climate is not going to be a lot like the UK .. their current mild autumn is going to be followed with some very cold and dry and at times sub-zero winter weather. Whilst we can advise on honey bees in general terms the more specific local conditions need local knowledge.

It's going to be a bit of a culture shock the next month and then after that it's going to have to be a lot of reading to get himself ready for next year's season which is going to start where he is about mid April I would think. There's an interesting list of Oklahoma bee plants here:

https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/nectar-and-pollen-plants-of-oklahoma.html
He would do well to identify what they are and where they are in relation to where his colony is situated.

First lesson though has to be identifying Larvae, capped brood, capped honey, nectar and pollen in the cells ... eggs would be nice to see but they are sometimes a bit difficult for a newbie to spot.

Here's a good start for him ...

https://www.perfectbee.com/a-health...nspecting-and-understanding-the-brood-pattern

Back