First 2009 OSR flowers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

On the drive into work today I could see the first few flowers opening in the OSR.

I am sure you southerners are already harvesting yours by now, but up north this is the current situation.

How?s everyone else set for OSR in their areas? I see more wheat and barley than OSR currently.

Lots of Barley been sown around my bees,OSR about 1 mile away.

I was making some frames yesterday in the garage and am used to a few of my bees having a nose but was suprised to see a wasp at this time of year.

Seen a field of rape ahead of all the others as it is just coming into flower. Lots of fields here are highly variable so there should be an extended flowering period....

Hi Admin

I also spotted a few wasps over the weekend, a good sign in a way!

Yes same here in Shropshire saw two fields of OSR just coming into flower.

Killed a Queen wasp in the shed yesterday.

Got permission to be on 100 acres of rape, three quarters of a mile from the public road and behind a locked gate for which I have the key.

About as ideal as it gets as the rape is in poor condition and probably some 10 to 14 days from flowering.

PH

The spring OSR is a poor crop this year due to the wet August when the seed failed to germinate or rotted, a lot of farmers had to re sow, there are huge patches missing around me and nothing anywhere near flowering. Still that means that I may get a chance of something from it. Last year it had flowered and was over before my bees had a snifter :)

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back