Finman's beehive on balance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he is saying that they are being weighed - so you can see the build up of stores (+bees I suppose) in the hives. Over a year, this would be very interesting. I think the beek in Tervola is adding a kilo of fondant every few weeks in the early part of the year.

Finman,

Can you explain how this works?

The weight depends much on pastures and weather.

If the reader does not know what flowers give the yield, it is not usefull.

My neighbour was going to go to Norway because it is so dry and bees get nothing from flowers. I called to hm and told they 7-8 kg weight is coming in a day . So he stayed home and started to extract.

At this moment I do not know where they get their "weight". Nature is very dry and I doubt the aphidiade's honeydew

Last edited:
I think the beek in Tervola is adding a kilo of fondant every few weeks in the early part of the year.

It is quite near Polar Circle. It is better to add. Few weeks- summer is not long there.

I've been to Finland a number of times and have never seen a hive - is beekeeping a common hobby? I asked my brother (who lives in Finland, and he said he had never met one).

I've been to Finland a number of times and have never seen a hive - is beekeeping a common hobby? I asked my brother (who lives in Finland, and he said he had never met one).

beekeepers, 3.300
professionals 90
side working 350
hobby, 2.900
hives 53.000

normal yield 1,6 milj. kg

Biggest company Honey Paradise 3000 hives.

Hives has been hided in woods, so outsiders get not into their head to ush down them or throw stones.

Last edited:
Wow, amazing numbers - I take it the kit is like many things in Finland...expensive?

Wow, amazing numbers - I take it the kit is like many things in Finland...expensive?
The kit is not expensive and is available in the UK. It is only UK beekeepers who assume all hives must be made out of red cedar who buy expensive hives. Large junks of Europe have gone over to poly on the grounds of price and performance.

Last edited:
Sorry Rooftops, but having been to Finland many times, I have been AMAZED at the cost of everyday things - an average Sunday roast would be £50 (ish) - so expect that bee equipment is the same?

Beekeeping is an expencive hobby if you do not get honey enough to sell.

In england frame prices are 3 fold compared to sweden or finland. Your frames are so coplex that to where you need them.
Polyboxes are 13-16 euro a piece.
Extractors or so are international prices. Bees are expencive here.

In england frame prices are 3 fold compared to sweden or finland. Your frames are so coplex that to where you need them.
Polyboxes are 13-16 euro a piece.
Extractors or so are international prices. Bees are expencive here.
Polyboxes 13-16 euro? I think I'll ask my brother to stick a few in his suitcase next time he comes home!! Are there any stockist near Kolkki or Tampere?

Latest posts

Back