finishing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
i made five hives at the weekend,do you paint inside as well as outside with cuprinol or not
thanx mark

Cuprinol what? Make sure it is the clear, non-insecticidal stuff.

Not if they are plastic!

Inside can be left or coated as you please. Left - better 'breathing' for moisture control; coated - easier to clean, perhaps

When scorched with a blowtorch you may wish you hadn't bothered.

If painted use 'breatheable' paint.

Really I don't think it matters. I do, then if they are left out in the wet.....

Regards, RAB

cuprinol clear outside then two coats of garden shades to protect i did mine outside only

Leave the inside as is,that way the wood can still breath.

If it's ceder I use raw linsead oil, out side only, you can if you want colour the oil with artists oil paint's and do coloured front panels (new wood only with colour).
John

rowbow,do uou use boiled or raw,or does it not matter ?

Rustins boiled is supposed to be bee-friendly. The boiled cures faster like a couple of days in good weather, the raw takes weeks. We add 1/20 of beeswax to boiled.

Thank you for that. Not good news.

No I agree that it's not good news - I was about to buy some for some plywood hives that I've just built.

The hegemony of big business and chemical manufacturers marches on !! However, it's good of Cuprinol to acknowledge the risk on their website but perhaps they should be advertising the fact in the beekeeping press. I do'nt know if Thornes are aware as it's in their current catalogue.

Linseed oil

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY, raw linseed oil for ceder wood because boiled oil forms a skin on the wood and does not let the wood breath properly, do not put on the inside as this will defeat the object condensation will form. (it will turn moldy).
Regards
John

Slight problem - Normally Cuprinol clear was used to protect the wood from fungal attack and then treated with raw linseed oil. No problem.

Used alone, you will find that raw linseed oil has some problems, other than the drying time, of course.
# No UV (ultraviolet) light resistance... UV causes more damage to exposed wood than any other factor, destroying wood fibers and setting it up for attack by mildew, fungus, and insects.
# Linseed oil is mildew food... Many vegetable oils are food products for humans... all vegetable oils are food products for mildew! Linseed oil is not completely denatured, so it can encourage rather than discourage mildew growth.​

Personally I'm a fan of raw linseed oil, but still need to get the brush out . . .

Latest posts

Back