Finished

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Finished my course at Easton. Missing it already, I really enjoyed it. Now I have to wait until next spring before I can have some bees of my own. The time is going to drag.

Finished my course at Easton. Missing it already, I really enjoyed it. Now I have to wait until next spring before I can have some bees of my own. The time is going to drag.

Why?

Get a late swarm to play with/over winter.

Bit late in the season now for swarming. Plus I'm not really prepared. I don't have the equipment. I also have no experience collecting swarms.

Might be late for a productive swarm. I had my first in july one year, gained a lot of practice in opening up the hive, and looking in.

Are you a member of a local club?

You might be surprised how helpful they are. Always looking for newbies.

I had a few bits given me when I started, as did a lot of others.

A few frames, make a nuc box, easy enough, make it portable, you can over winter in the garden shed.

Even if you can't have your own bees, I'm sure they will be more than willing to let you visit and help with their bees. Extraction is coming up and many may be pleased with the offer of help.You can pick up a great deal helping more experienced bees.

There are actually two friendly local beeks that have offered for me to come visit and help out with their hives on this forum. I just need to be more organised hehe

But it's generally good experience - pretty much how I made the jump in the first place - and having acquired a cast 2 weeks ago I now have my own bees :)

If September is dry...as it often seems to be...and the local beekeepers have let down their swarm guard, then you never know. We've a full colony here which has given a nuc and started from a swarm last September and wintered in a six-framer. Same queen (so far!).

Hey Ely - I went to that course at Easton last year - really useful. I got my bees this May. Are you going to join the Norfolk Beekeepers Association?

:party:

Latest posts

Back