fine crystal honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gill68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi,
I was hoping to try making osr honey into creamed honey but as far as I understand I need to 'seed' it with a fine crystal honey. Does anyone have any that I can buy off them to start me off? I don't really know what proportion I need of the 'seed honey' . Any help or advice given gratefully received!
I know that this isn't strictly in the right place on the forum, but has anyone any experience of the various creaming equipment out there. Is there anything to choose between them? I probably don't want to spend a lot of money to start with, so really its between the manual creamers, or the corkscrew ones that attach to a drill.
Thanks
Gill

You could just buy a bottle of soft set honey - UK of course, nothing imported! Add this to about 3 pounds of liquid honey, stirring it well in with a spoon, and then keep cool - a refrigerator should be fine. The next day the whole lot will probably have set so use this mixture to seed the rest of the batch - which you also have to keep cool, no more than 14C in theory but I find under 10C works best for me. As the summer warms up it will become increasingly difficult to make soft set honey which is why I make most of mine in the winter.

If you let your OSR set then you can make the starter by grinding it a few spoonfuls at a time on a pestle and mortar then adding it to 3 pounds of melted honey, then continue as above.

The is a video on "making soft set honey" on You Tube.

Guys great video am making some soft set honey now, how long do I leave it in the tub for all the scum to raise to the top of the bucket
Thanks

Back