Finding an out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I've been interested in taking up bee keeping for a few years now and have finally done the introductory course. I'm keen to get my own bees, but dont have anywhere to put them. It's not an option to have them in the garden.

Does anyone have any tips on finding land/farms which would allow me to place hives on their land? I've asked some local farm shops connected to farms and either they're not keen or already have hives. I'm on the waiting list for an allotment, so that might be a possibility in a few year. But I want to start now :)

If it helps I live near Stapleford, Nottingham.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've been interested in taking up bee keeping for a few years now and have finally done the introductory course. I'm keen to get my own bees, but dont have anywhere to put them. It's not an option to have them in the garden.

Does anyone have any tips on finding land/farms which would allow me to place hives on their land? I've asked some local farm shops connected to farms and either they're not keen or already have hives. I'm on the waiting list for an allotment, so that might be a possibility in a few year. But I want to start now :)

Thanks.

Im in a similar position i just followed where all the farm trucks and muck ended round by me. Then watched for a few days until they where quiet then went and asked, got a yes luckly. Just knock on doors until you find the right person.

:iagree: I got a yes First try, let them know you won't be in the way as farmers tend to be very busy people.

Andy,

You could try landshare to see if there is anything near you.

Other than that it is a question of knowing the local landowners and asking nicely. It's just a question of being resourceful and a bt lucky really. Are there any fruit farms near you ot PYO places for example? Is there a derelict corner of a few fields where you could put some hives if you ask nicely? Have you tried looking at Google Earth to see what's around and about? etc

Regards,

Bobster

People who want bees on their land often contact local BKA's offering effectively out apiaries. So if you are in your BKA find out whether any have been offered and possibly also ask the BKA newsletter editor if you can ask in the newsletter.
Also consider local parish magazines or community newsletters; there has been an increase in gardening as a hobby as well as an increasing awareness of the bee situation so you might be surprised. They may be glad to put a request in their pages without charge.

In idle conversations locally I have been so surpised -for example yesterday one lady was so pleased to hear I was a beekeeper as she had been planting in her garden with bees in mind and finding someone with bees who might benefit seemed to make her day.
Tricia

Tricia

I agree with all the above, start knocking on doors, but, make sure you can recognise a site for placement, out of the way of people, livestock etc. The land owner may say yes but offer an unsuitable area. If you are offered somewhere take along a beekeeper with you and he/she will help you decide if the area is good for keeping bees on. Also make the landowner a friend and include them in your beekeeping, it all helps when the problems start ie swarming!
Good luck

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Andy - if you havent already I'd suggest you sign up with Notts BKA (they have an auction in a couple of weeks at Newark). There will probably be someone there who can help.

You could look in the yellow pages website for farmers in your area and ring them up in the evening. If you find a willing farmer, take a compass with you for south facing areas in a field. I have been offered areas away from hedge trimming, this suits you the farmer and the bees. Discuss whether the area has to be fenced off. The farmer may do it for you, or if you have to do it be very sympathetic. You may have to clear nettles or brambles but you can use them to hide your bees from public gaze.

Look on Google earth or walk, you can see farm lands and what there is for bees to forage, if the picture is good you can even see beehives

I've had a look at Google maps aerial view of Stapleford. You have plenty of golf courses! I would start looking south of the B5010. South of the Pinfold Trading Estate there are some yellow-looking fields surrounding a green field. A good place to start maybe.

Find your preferred location first before approaching the farmer they seldom have time to be tramping round the country side discussing apiary sites. This could be the difference between a yes ans a no.

Find your preferred location first before approaching the farmer they seldom have time to be tramping round the country side discussing apiary sites. This could be the difference between a yes ans a no.
:iagree:

I only approached the landowners after using online mapping and 'radius tool' to be sure sites were greater than 3 miles apart.

Some BKAs have club apiaries, where members keep their hives. Maybe yours has one you could use.

You could approach your local Womens Institute they recently ran a campaign entitled
' Save The Honeybee'
Check out their website.
(I'm unable to post a link as to date I have only posted 8 messages)
Perhaps one of there members may like a couple of hives in their garden.

OR

Do a leaflet drop in your area - I did it a couple of years ago and picked up a few sites, not all suitable mind.
People generally are very receptive to the whole bee thing.

You could ask the Soil Association if they have any members near you. An organic farmer might be more willing to help??

Started with one hive at home 3 years ago. Now have 3 out apairys, they just sorta land on my doorstep. Amazing how many people want bees on thier land but dont want to become beekeepers. :cool:

Just updating this post on finding an out apiary with my experience over the past few years.

1. Use the site Yell.com and use Farm shops and Farmers as search terms for you area. I got 20+ hits
2. Check locations using google earth.
3. All my possibilities came with phone numbers
4. Phone them up in the evening and have a ready prepared spiel
Mine went something like:
My name is XXXX and I'm a local beekeeper. (Pause)
Would you be interested in finding a suitable site to place some honey bees on your farm.
I would be more than happy to call around and help you find a suitable place.
I would be responsible for the bees.

Answers I got:
1. That sound like a good idea lets meet up.
2. I've always wanted to have some bees
3. Let me think about it and I'll call you back
4. Let me put it to my husband- he's a grumpy old s*d so I don't think you'll be in luck
5. A beekeeper already has hives on our land but we have 120 acres so I'm sure there will be room for your bees!
6. We had bees a few years ago but they kept on swarming and the horse owners complained so we had to ask the beekeeper to remove them.

I've now got 5 out-apiaries so it does work.

Just updating this post on finding an out apiary with my experience over the past few years.

1. Use the site Yell.com and use Farm shops and Farmers as search terms for you area. I got 20+ hits
2. Check locations using google earth.
3. All my possibilities came with phone numbers
4. Phone them up in the evening and have a ready prepared spiel
Mine went something like:
My name is XXXX and I'm a local beekeeper. (Pause)
Would you be interested in finding a suitable site to place some honey bees on your farm.
I would be more than happy to call around and help you find a suitable place.
I would be responsible for the bees.

Answers I got:
1. That sound like a good idea lets meet up.
2. I've always wanted to have some bees
3. Let me think about it and I'll call you back
4. Let me put it to my husband- he's a grumpy old s*d so I don't think you'll be in luck
5. A beekeeper already has hives on our land but we have 120 acres so I'm sure there will be room for your bees!
6. We had bees a few years ago but they kept on swarming and the horse owners complained so we had to ask the beekeeper to remove them.

I've now got 5 out-apiaries so it does work.
:iagree:
+1

I asked around and got SWMBO to do the same and it turned up her hairdresser who lives on a rented farm only a few miles away from home.

We checked it out and found a good sheltered spot, south facing with some dappled shade at midday, her partner mowed it and even cleared a corner of a disused loose box for my storage stuff.

The price is one jar of honey per hive so even if I have to go the local farm shop and buy it this year . . . . . . . All I got to do now is get the girls to play ball. . . . .

Latest posts

Back