Finally been stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nellie

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
And it was because I was stupid.

I knew I was going to an apiary day and I wore aftershave. It was saturday morning, I inspect on sunday. force of habit not yet removed.

My hair was getting in my eyes and, being a 35 year old fat bloke, I had to sort it out. I left the apiary, no bees that I could see, which wasn't much, so I unzipped my veil.

The second I unzipped it and pulled it back, bees everywhere! Ok, 2-4 at this point is bees everywhere. One immediately hit my cheek, another my neck, a third for entirely amusement purposes hit my hair and there was no doubt a fourth buzzing around my would be rescuer, an old hand just for added humiliation.

So I'm not dead which is a final confirmation that I'm doing the right thing, but I am annoyed I got stung and for such a stupid reason

As a matter of interest did you close the hive up before moving away?
How far from the hive were you when you decided to unzip?

You are not the only one that something like this has happened to, but if we look at what happened then in future it can bee avoided.

Look forward to your reply.

By the way the doctor gave up counting after removing 200 stings from my lower legs.

Regards;

welcome to reality, great to know evan after these years it still happens to me and every one else.

I do know a story of a young abd stupid man how went to the toilet whilst in an apairy after having far to many beers the night before, twenty foot to the nearest tree was not far enough, the beekeeper was so busy laughing and falling about he fell over and knocked over two hives. he had to rebuild them whilst this un named young stupid lad spent his time leaping about a paddock like a spring lamb. the lad has now grown up and waits till he gets well away now

Did you get any reaction Nellie ?

I got a few hits yestersay when openeing a queenless nuc without smoking, Ok i had leather gloves on which is rare and i needed the bees out sharpish for the swarm.

So entirely my own fault - however i have noticed a definite difference in the pain of a sting and which colony stung, some i get a barely notice, these ones yesterday were burning like crazy when they went in, and my hands this morning have swollen up and are itching. Not normally how i react.

By the way the doctor gave up counting after removing 200 stings from my lower legs.

Regards;

There has to be story in there! How did you manage to get stung on the legs so badly?

hi i had the same problem with one of my colonies when i got stung a couple of weeks back. My hand and arm was swallon and kept getting worse so i went to a&e that give me antibiotics not sure what they were called but the capsuales were massive. the swelling then went within 4-5 days. i had a red rash that itched like mad.

however i have noticed a definite difference in the pain of a sting and which colony stung

Interesting you should say that, I have noticed the same.
The first "beekeeping" sting i ever had was from a "lively colony" at our branch aipary, that one swelled up and itched for a couple of days. All stings ive had since i have hardly noticed up until yesterday when i was stung by a bee from that colony again and sure enough swelled up and itches/ aches.
Dont think it can be down to what they are foraging on since its in close to proximity to bees that i have hardly noticed.

David

200 and still counting

This happened in my first year as a beekeeper. I was supposed to meet up with an experienced beekeeper who would oversee me opening the two association hives in the local park.
It was a really hot day and at 2pm it was warm to say the least. Come 2.30 no member so I thought I’ll have a peek anyway. I did not bother to put my wellies on and just had trainers.
Smoker going well, hive tool in hand, ready to go.
Couple of puffs of smoke, wait a couple of minuets, then in I go.
Because I am deaf I do not hear the bees so I have to keep a special eye on the entrance to gauge what’s happening.
Off with the lid, laid it down near the entrance and a couple of puffs of smoke into the hole in the crown board as the bees were coming out of the hole.
Lifted the crown board off and then all hell broke loose. There were no supers on at the time.
The bees came at me in a tight cluster and covered my face veil and onto my shoulders. Sorry couldn’t take any photos at that point.
Next thing I felt was being stung on both ankles time and time again.
So now I don’t want to play and shut up that hive in double fast time, not caring if any bees were crushed. Came out of the netting and dived into a load of bushes.
That night my legs began to swell to double proportions and the pain was really bad. I could not walk due to the tightness of the skin.
I eventually got to hospital and the doctor started to extract the individual stings as he said he has never experienced this before.
After counting 200 he said he’s not counting any more but will take out the stings.
I was kept in over night for observation and discharged the following lunchtime.
So there we go an early introduction to being stung.
Now if I get stung it does not bother me.

Regards;

Last summer I was up at my hives and thought I would mow the grass around them.

I had shorts on and while mowing around the hives kept feeling a sting on my legs but just carried on,after about an hour I looked down and my legs were covered in blood with loads of drips going onto my shoes,it was so bad I had to get a towel from the car to mop the blood.

I thought it was cuts from the couch grass but after a shower realised I had been eaten alive by Horse flys.

I still have some nasty scars a year later.

As a matter of interest did you close the hive up before moving away?
How far from the hive were you when you decided to unzip?

You are not the only one that something like this has happened to, but if we look at what happened then in future it can bee avoided.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards;

It was a local association apiary day so I wasn't actually inspecting at the time.

I was about 20-25 meters away, around the corner outside of the apiary area.

Got zapped again this afternoon at my apiary, Hadn't even got the suit on when one flew into my hair and got me on the head before we could get her out.
No reaction of any real note, but the ones I got yesterday are far more sore and swollen than the one I got off my own bees.

I think you need a haircut, no2 back and sides, it'll stop people thinking you are a burd as well :biggrinjester:

Either that or a hairnet ;)

Which reminds me of the story: An "open day" at an association apiary and a gentleman was stung on a particularly sensitive part of his anatomy. One of the ladies being very solicitous for his welfare enquired where he had been stung and he replied - "lady if you were stung where I have been stung you wouldn't be stung atall!"

Hi Nellie

Re you being stung at an association meeting.

It was a local association apiary day so I wasn't actually inspecting at the time.

I was about 20-25 meters away, around the corner outside of the apiary area.

Firstly my thoughts were that the handling of the bees might be the cause of them stinging away from the hive.
If you were outside the apiary area then it should be mentioned to the apiary manager that bees followed you and you were stung. Unfortunately they will not be able to do anything about that because if they had more than one hive open then there is no way of telling where the bees came from.
Being warned about 'followers' the members can be aware of this.

Regards;

I've had my bees 2 weeks and I've been stung 5 times. Each time due to inexperience. The one on the eyelid hurt the most. I'm like Pavlov's dog!

I've now learned:

Half a bee suit isn't good enough
Always tuck your bottoms into wellies
Do not hoe the onion bed (on the other side of the hedge) directly after manipulating the hive.
Don't over smoke the bees
Don't under smoke the bees

No doubt I'll be adding to this list as the season progresses :)

Ah well you see, after my huge experience and expertise with bees (OK, OK, I've had the hive about 4 weeks) I can add some truely impressive, brilliant, and cunning advice to anniebees post....

Don't sit on bees, particularly when wearing a cotton skirt.

Went out yesterday to go listen to them buzz in the sunshine, sat on wall near hive... stood up again pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back