Filter sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Looking to get some new filters. What sizes do you use as I dont know what the difference between 200/300 micron is, as at the moment I just use a double strainer.

If you don't want to see any specks in clear honey then 200 micron is what you want, but 300 or 350 micron is a good size for quick straining and removing all but the smallest bits. I use both - putting it through the 350 micron soon after extraction - after it has been through the double strainer first. I then leave it in buckets until needed then warm it and put it through a 200 micron filter the day before bottling. The honey must be warmed to go through a 200 micron filter otherwise it will take ages if at all if it is really cold.

I dont know what the difference between 200/300 micron is.

It's 50% increase or 33% decrease! 1/5 or 1/3 of a millimetre are the approx dimensions.

I use a 200 micron for filtering honey for jarring. You may want to filter twice as 300 micron will filter much faster than the finer one and remove most of what would blind off the smaller appertures.

I normally screen through a seive (from the extractor into buckets), which removes most of the wax and bits. Then just through a filter cloth (when 'melted' for bottling), allowed to stand in the honey tank (air up and any unlikely bits down) for a couple of days or so, then bottled.

'Show' honey would be treated differently.

Regards, RAB

Cheers for the reply's will order the 200 micron I think.

Just ordered 200/350 filter and stand from someone on here 17.5% off as well.

Can I just say superb service from modern beekeeping really quick delivery and good quality filters as well.

Latest posts

Back