Filling broodbox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the change in weather lots of nectar & pollen being brought into that was a installed nuc.
Seeing several of the frames in bbox getting filled with stores. Queen laying but thinking this could block laying space in the bbox.
Would removing some of the stores frames and replacing with foundation and adding a super be the right thing to do to encourage them to draw up the super and move stores up?

Thanks

With the change in weather lots of nectar & pollen being brought into that was a installed nuc.
Seeing several of the frames in bbox getting filled with stores. Queen laying but thinking this could block laying space in the bbox.
Would removing some of the stores frames and replacing with foundation and adding a super be the right thing to do to encourage them to draw up the super and move stores up?

Thanks
Are they still in a nuc ? Get them into a hive ...

Thanks
How many frames of solid brood is there, I would go double brood, split the brood and stores equally between both boxes flanked by foundation or drawn comb.
Adding a super will only bid you time if there's around 8 frames of solid brood I would go double.

No, been in a full hive for a few weeks. Standard national.
Add a super to give them somewhere to store the honey... either scratch the cappings in any frames full of honey in the brood box to encourage them to move it up into the super or take out a couple of frames and give them either some drawn ones to use of you have them or frames if foundation... or if you were me ... foundationless frames.

Not having any drawn super frames, it’ll be foundation (or foundation less) frames in super. I guess with flow on they will draw out comb.

Thank you

Not having any drawn super frames, it’ll be foundation (or foundation less) frames in super. I guess with flow on they will draw out comb.

Thank you
If you don't have foundation in there, they will have a freeforall creative comb building party

Thank you
If you do some foundationless alternate them with frames with foundation or they will have a free for all... if you scratch the cappings on the brood frames they will draw the super comb very quickly. The weather next week is scheduled to be warm so they won't hold back drawing the comb.

Latest posts

Back