Filipe Salbany- Somerset Beekeepers' Association online event

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember once being at a talk by Francis Ratnieks, standing up, asking a question then being looked through as if I wasn’t there was an experience indeed.
Yes, he only answered questions that suited his agenda.
Or sold more of his 'hygienic' queen bees

Thanks.
I have a few but as you say they may not be answered.
I remember once being at a talk by Francis Ratnieks, standing up, asking a question then being looked through as if I wasn’t there was an experience indeed.
In fairness he was easily confused😉

I've no reason to doubt that Lynne will be a fair moderator.
Although she may have to 'rephrase' some people's questions to make them suitable for family viewing!
I’m disappointed that SBKA are even considering giving this gentleman air time….
Delusional preaching I suspect and it’ll brainwash even more about myths regarding bees in the UK

No no no! I'd like to know if this chap has had his Blenheim bee results through as promised last year and there is still this conundrum as to whether black bees mate preferentially to neighbouring black bees ignoring the drones from scores of apiaries nearby.

No no no! I'd like to know if this chap has had his Blenheim bee results through as promised last year and there is still this conundrum as to whether black bees mate preferentially to neighbouring black bees ignoring the drones from scores of apiaries nearby.
But according to him he’s not claiming they are black, there extra special smaller fluffier………special separate eco type

Ecotypes of plants and animals are a real thing, aren't they?
They are but I’ll eat my hat if he’s found any, go look at the various film/photos of the bees themselves. Plus some of the claims like multiple queens he finds so extraordinary, many with experience find common place. Those claiming isolation should also in future check beebase.

But according to him he’s not claiming they are black, there extra special smaller fluffier………special separate eco type
Indirectly he is ... it seems that he's claiming these are 'survivor' native bees so by that definition they should be small black AMM's ... ie: Colonsay type stock - unpolluted by breeding from any foreign stock. It seems improbable that this could have happened in rural Oxfordshire but DNA Analysis would confirm it .... looking at the photos available they don't LOOK anything like the photos of the Colonsay bees but I'm open minded.

If he had just claimed that they were surviving in the face of varroa without treatment - well, I can understand that, there are plenty of TF keepers around the country whose bees, for one reason or another, appear to able to live alongside varroa.

Well, Colonsay and Oronsay Amm, Scotland’s native Black Bees, were firmly stablished during the 1970’s and 80’s from isolated Scottish stocks. Then the Scottish Government eventually passed The Beekeeping (Colonsay and Oronsay) Order of 2013 giving its reserve status legality. Even before that in the 1940’ and 50’s, the island’s isolation was used by the West of Scotland College of Agriculture to select and breed lines of Amm.
In 2017 england's First Black bee Reserve at Mount Edgecumbe Country Park got opened :ohthedrama:
In 2021 the Daily Record headline - ”New bee species found doing well at Perthshire mountain reserve” - but that was of course a bumblebee :laughing-smiley-004
And again in 2021 the Guardian led with 'No one knew they existed': wild heirs of lost British honeybee found at Blenheim....” bee-smillie

Our Association obtained four queens from Colonsay a number of years ago. WIthin 6 months, the hives were riddled with varroa and removed to another site - the Colonsay bees had no exposure to varroa and hence could not cope with them.
(I have relayed this before)

I’m disappointed that SBKA are even considering giving this gentleman air time….
Delusional preaching I suspect and it’ll brainwash even more about myths regarding bees in the UK
As it seems to be popular topic in the press, and on here from the comments, why wouldn’t he be asked to give a talk about them? Other people are awarded the privilege, and they don’t have the same interest around their ‘research’

I liked this bit…..
“He has helped in commercial bee operations in the USA and South Africa particularly as regards subspecies of bees, their foraging requirements and, of course, concerning varroa.”
If he’s providing advice to commercial operations, who was providing advice to him when he lost most of his hives and required crowd funding to rebuild😉

WEll...I've just asked him if he's done a DNA analysis of the Blenheim bees. His reply was that he has a non disclosure agreement and can't tell me.
He also said that people are putting bait hives outside Blenheim to catch his bees. In his opinion these bees shouldn't be moved from Blenheim.

I've just asked him if he's done a DNA analysis of the Blenheim bees. His reply was that he has a non disclosure agreement and can't tell me.
Bullshit and bluster then, standard ploy of a snakeoil salesman
In his opinion these bees shouldn't be moved from Blenheim.
In my opinion he shouldn't be left out without a carer

I thought it was very disappointing in general Dani. came across as anti conventional beekeeping and almost proud to have been able to get 200 hives removed from an estate, when he found bees in tress. even stated that they may have originated from the managed hives rather than having any local feral provenance.

So did he come up with any other pearls of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back