Fighting when uniting colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Doug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just United a now queenless colony (she was only a virgin and not viable) with a queen right colony, using the newspaper method of separating the two brood boxes. I smoked them plenty too. I noticed there was some fighting at the entrance of the recipient hive, ( I assume flying bees from the two hives meeting) I assume this is normal? I'm just looking for reassurance really as this is the first time.i have done this and am not sure what to expect

Did you put a couple of drops of lemon grass oil in some warm water and mist over the recipient colony and the newspaper?

Never needed ever to do all that. Unite in the evening when flying has just ceased is the usual way forward

Did you put a couple of drops of lemon grass oil in some warm water and mist over the recipient colony and the newspaper?
You prepare the colonies in the afternoon and unite after they have stopped flying. (Thanks... that was the obvious bit I thought was unnecessary to say!)

Chons da

You prepare the colonies in the afternoon and unite after they have stopped flying. (Thanks... that was the obvious bit I thought was unnecessary to say!)

Chons da
Nothing is obvious to a beginner and we were all there once

Thanks for everyone's help, I untied before the evening as I couldn't do it then, plus I was worried about temps dropping in the evening, seems like a late stage in the year to go this sort of thing. Hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks for everyone's help, I untied before the evening as I couldn't do it then, plus I was worried about temps dropping in the evening, seems like a late stage in the year to go this sort of thing. Hopefully it will be ok.
I had to unite 2 colonies only a little while ago as well and wasn't altogether happy about the situation esp. as the laying queen I was introducing isn't strong. When I needed to take strips out a few days later though I saw eggs! - So here's hoping yours and mine get through the winter.

I use air freshener. 3-4 second squirt into each box. Put boxes together

Bess lose all sense of smell, get very noisy and mingle. By the time they have regained sense of smell, job is done.

I just United a now queenless colony (she was only a virgin and not viable) with a queen right colony, using the newspaper method of separating the two brood boxes. I smoked them plenty too. I noticed there was some fighting at the entrance of the recipient hive, ( I assume flying bees from the two hives meeting) I assume this is normal? I'm just looking for reassurance really as this is the first time.i have done this and am not sure what to expect
Correct assumption. A bit unfortunate as the sole purpose of the newspaper is to allow for a delayed introduction. However, sometimes you get some fighting all the same. They will sort themselves out in due course. Well done for getting on with the job.

I always add an excluder over the paper on bottom hive ...1 it stops the f....ing paper blowing off...2 it’s happened more than once that brace comb on the bottom of the frames particularly if the box going on top has been on the floor rips the paper.

Last edited:
I always add an excluder over the paper on bottom hive ...1 it stops the f....ing paper blowing off...2 it’s happened more than once that brace comb on the bottom of the frames particularly if the box going on top has been on the floor rips the paper.
I used a queen excluder too, it was useful!

Yeah small slits,
If slits give easy access, bees can meet too soon and fight. I don't make holes or slits.

If you use two overlapping tabloid sheets the overlap may allow bees to meet too soon.

Keep a Telegraph in your toolbox; if you run short, ask at a fish & chip shop: the wrapping paper is just right, slightly larger than a National.

I used to unite in the early evening on the basis that flyers would be home and learn of the change, but now I unite at any time necessary. Can't detect any difference in outcome.

If slits give easy access, bees can meet too soon and fight. I don't make holes or slits.

If you use two overlapping tabloid sheets the overlap may allow bees to meet too soon.

Keep a Telegraph in your toolbox; if you run short, ask at a fish & chip shop: the wrapping paper is just right, slightly larger than a National.

I used to unite in the early evening on the basis that flyers would be home and learn of the change, but now I unite at any time necessary. Can't detect any difference in outcome.
I don't put splits in the news paper either, the bees will soon chew threw the paper..
And a again I will unite whens convenient for me.
I have also used Air freshener to unite it works well.. I will squesh the Queen, then leave for a few minutes and then unite, thus far it happens very quickly.

My mentor harks at me using Air freshener...

I use a little hand sprayer filled with water + a few drops of thymol solution. I expect air freshener works in a very similar fashion.

The thymol solution is 5ml thymol crystals in 50ml Isopropyl alcohol (aka Manley solution) which I use to stop sugar solution going mouldy in feeders.

Latest posts

Back