Fifty shades of green

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downonthefarm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was suddenly plunged into bee keeping when a swarm decided to grace me last July. With the aid of my bee keeper friend, they moved into a new hive via a cardboard box. I had long considered keeping a hive, but needed the nudge. My 20 000 new best friends gave me that nudge. And a few stings!
Now I am reading, reading, reading about bees, have joined an association and am really enjoying my bees. Currently they are consuming large quantities of syrup because they didn't make enough honey after settling in. Hopefully we can get through the winter OK.
After each hive visit I become slightly less green about bee keeping, hence the fifty shades.....

Welcome!

How many frames have your bees managed?
You'll find lots of good advice on here regarding improving the chances of small colonies by insulating and feeding, but if they are still on the small side, a poly nucleus hive might be the best thing for them over winter. Such things are very useful to have available in the normal course of events. And an improvement in many cases over a cardboard box for taking a swarm! :)

Thanks for the tips, itma. My bees have only filled the brood box; I offered them a super at the beginning of Sept. but they didn't use it.

Hello Downonthefarm, pretty avatar. If they've filled the brood chamber they should be nicely prepared for Winter. You can sometimes profit from late flows, especially if you have Himalayan Balsam nearby.
Looking forward to next year, I bet you can't wait.

You'll find lots of good advice
And a liberal smattering of bad just to keep the balance right (ying/yang and all that kind of tofu munching mullarkey! :D) but like a big sharp axe, the forum is a handy tool (if used wisely)
Welcome from the lunatic fringe! :seeya:

Welcome to the forum, probably the best place to be for chipping away through your 50 shades of green

Back