Fibreglass roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you consider using a Glass Fibre Roof?

• Yes I fancy Glass Fiber if reasonable and strong.

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Never

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would you want a big stone on top of a roof that wont be able to be sucked off? Grins.

I use bricks as an immediate status indicator. And the record card on the CB for more detailed info.

But that is how I work and I know some love their highly complex systems. LOL

PH

In a similar vein, I have a large folding umbrella !
When folded, it is then covered by a woven but wind proof plastic cover , although it's a snug fit ,plus the height being 5 times the width, strong gales have blown the thing off occasionally.
High winds passing over and around an object have to increase in speed in order to catch up with the main air flow, this causes a drop in pressure above the object, the result being lift !
A light-weight hive roof can soon become a box kite , mere depth of the sides is no insurance against its' being dislodged .

John Wilkinson

What you need to add is some bunggy cords to it, make it a nice bright colour.....hang on PH are you trying to make a beehaus?:toetap05:

I have to disagree John.

At Craibstone there was a Dadant with (for some lost reason) a 10" deep roof. As you say wind sucks things off. To manage to suck vertically a deep roof I honestly think is pretty much impossible and as I posted earlier in this thread the deep roofs "cock" at an angle effectively jamming them selves on.

This effect is something I have seen times in very exposed places with winds of 100mph+ (not much fun trust me)

If there was a right gale of wind the one roof that was pretty much guaranteed to stay put in the Craibstone apiary, it was the deep one which is the line of thought that kicked off my thinking. Plus the call out to a very interesting factory.

PH

I think the confusion will be the new material throwen into the mix not the fact that it is deep.

what clearance do you propose around the BB and do you have a thickness in mined for the roof sides.

Why would you want a big stone on top of a roof that wont be able to be sucked off? Grins.

I use bricks as an immediate status indicator. And the record card on the CB for more detailed info.

But that is how I work and I know some love their highly complex systems. LOL

PH

The reason for my post was to back up Tom Bicks' request for clearance dimensions . Too much clearance for a given depth will blow off with ease !

John Wilkinson

Sure you could make them so that they lasted for decades, but I can't see any advantage weight wise, it's not like you are carrying them regularly some distance.

What advantage does it offer over two layers of 30mm PIR foam in a cedar and zinc sheet roof? I prefer to keep straps on over winter although a deep roof might help on a very windy summers day such as today.

My concerns would be damage from full supers being placed diagonally on upturned roof sides, gelcoat chips very easily on tight radius corners and you'd then have sharp edges. If using polyester resin then styrene will leach out, the effects on the bees unknown as far as I can tell.

Composites are on the surface not that eco friendly, mining and processing steel and zinc isn't either but the cedar and osb is sustainable, the galvanised sheet roofs last for decades The one thing composite structures do have is they will last a very long time if made properly with no real maintenance.

Not sure what the current recycling status is, but you can recycle reinforcement offcuts back to the manufacturers, but once resin is introduced then its realistically only fit for landfill as burning releases a heap of nasties such as dioxins. and the entrained air in a resin fibre mix is very low so its use for insulation is would be pointless. Shredded and used as a bulk filler in other composite products would work, but usually you want thick light cores and thin rigid skins. Dumping to landfill is what Lotus and TVR used to do with their resin impregnated offcuts. TVR is long gone and Lotus have outsourced panel production offshore so don't really have to directly deal with the problem. Reducing waste by mould improvements, exact sizing of reinforcements by automated cutting which together significantly reduce component trimming have helped enormously.

Back