Few foraging opportunities

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,
Whilst there are pollen to be had in the neighbourhood, there seem to be few opportunities for the bees to collect it with this cold weather. I would say that my bees in the last couple of weeks have been collecting pollen only 3-4 hrs per week. Does it come a time when I have to feed pollen patties, which I did not want to do, so as not to endanger the viability of my colonies? I am assuming that my colonies have next to no pollen stores. Grateful, in common with most newbies, for more experienced beekeepers' input on this point. Many thanks.

I have only 22 years experience in protein spring feeding, and it is not valid currency in your isles.

BUT I start feeding 3 weeks before nature starts to give pollen. Last spring was very cold and I moved my start point. Biggest problem is in my climate that do bees get drinking water from ground. They forage water only in sunshine and snow free ground.

Bees are eager to rear brood in spring, if they get protein. My hives consume pollen patty 1-2 pounds/week.

I have never used pollen patties but that does not mean it is wrong to do so. My bees 'generally' come through ok. It may well help give your bees a good start but as I have no really early nectar flows I believe they catch up by the time it has arrived! If I was on early OSR then I might think differently....no hard and fast rules, a matter of personal preference according to your local conditions. Others may not agree!

I was not planning to feed patties this year, but have just been thinking today that perhaps I should- having watched them working in the sunshine, and thinking they should be doing this every day...

We had snow and cold conditions much later than this in 1996, each year has its subtle differences.
I agree with Enrico.

I am also wondering about feeding pollen patties as there is very little pollen left in the stores and the queens have begun in earnest to lay.

I'm pretty new but decided against patties because once you start you have to keep it up till they can get their own pollen and they could well build up an amount of brood which will need a larger amount of pollen. also I want to cut down the number of times I have to open the hive while we have this cold weather. So I decided to just keep them going with fondant (if needed) and to wait for the pussy willows and the bees to be ready at the same time when ever spring decides to get here. Fingers crossed for a warm season when the bees can do well.

Easy decision for my hives, given the abject forecast for the next week or so - it's to keep late January's Neopoll on, even though it has hardly been touched....and keep on checking in case it gets gobbled up !

My bee's have been consuming the patties for the last two weeks. Recipe very similar to 'Finmans', however the soya i used was soya protein isolate.

So far all colonies (12) are alive into spring.

Hi All,
Whilst there are pollen to be had in the neighbourhood, there seem to be few opportunities for the bees to collect it with this cold weather. I would say that my bees in the last couple of weeks have been collecting pollen only 3-4 hrs per week. Does it come a time when I have to feed pollen patties, which I did not want to do, so as not to endanger the viability of my colonies? I am assuming that my colonies have next to no pollen stores. Grateful, in common with most newbies, for more experienced beekeepers' input on this point. Many thanks.

I seem to remember many posts in the autumn reporting copious quantities of ivy pollen entering the hives. Surely that will still be unused and thus available?

I seem to remember many posts in the autumn reporting copious quantities of ivy pollen entering the hives. Surely that will still be unused and thus available?

Hi Amari,
You would have thought so, but not with my bees. It all went on brood! In my inexpert opinion it would appear that you have either lots of winter bees and no stores or the other way around. Hand to mouth existence my bees don't take after their beek! It was cold here yday, but they were out for three to four hours and came back with respectable pollen loads. Collected a bit of water too, but I don't know if that is enough this time of the year!

Hi Amari,
You would have thought so, but not with my bees. It all went on brood!

Italian strain bees: don't know the meaning of saving it up for a rainy day (month/season) :icon_204-2:

Locally adapted bees with a good smattering of Amm or carnie know how to reduce brooding when it's 'orrid.

Hi All,

I have been feeding mine pollen patties for the last 3 weeks so I can make most of any, if we ever get one, Spring crop.
I took a quick look to check how they are consuming the feed last Monday, some needed renewing, others had hardly touched it. Strange how some colonies make differing choices as all hives, come from same Buckfast stock and went into winter roughly the same and have had same treatments.
My Nucs have not been fed yet as there is no rush to get them going.
Losses so far:
25 Hives = 0 losses
6 Nucs = 3 losses, probably too small going into winter.

S

Just made up some pollen substitute patties for the first time and will put them on tomorrow hopefully. My bees have been bringing in pollen when we get a warm afternoon but it has rained all day today and it is not great weather for the next two weeks so I wanted to encourage them a bit! I guess if they have enough they will leave it alone (but I haven't had a full inspection yet so don't know what the state of play is)! There is winter OSR near me so I want to try and be ready for it.

Latest posts

Back