Feral colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springers

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Noticed a very active feral colony in the soffet of the ladies WC next to the LimeKilns Café on the A5 nr Llangollen today. The soffet is very rotten providing quite a big entrance. Don't know if they can be rescued.?

Noticed a very active feral colony in the soffet of the ladies WC next to the LimeKilns Café on the A5 nr Llangollen today. The soffet is very rotten providing quite a big entrance. Don't know if they can be rescued.?

Survival Probably depends on the condition construction above the soft. It may be best done next year.

Rescued? They are likely quite happy where they are. New or possibly the site has been occupied for umpteen years? Probably better left alone.

Yes they will be fine until someone moans, they are right at the entrance of the WC's just above head height, then they will learn their fate. Just thought I would put it out there for anyone local to assess. Nevermind.

I had a council call this year with their outside toilets. Bees had been there for years. The matter arose when they swarmed, some employees were allergic and the manager wanted them removed, I gave them details of a pest controller/beekeeper. So hopefully the bee's have been rescued.

Is it possible for you to have a word with the lady and may be make the entrance smaller to help with any cold draughts or is that not possible.

Is it possible for you to have a word with the lady and may be make the entrance smaller to help with any cold draughts or is that not possible.

Difficulty will arise when the soffit needs replacing, no builders will go near it and then the decision to replace the soffit may occur in the winter when it is not suitable for the bees.

Difficulty will arise when the soffit needs replacing, no builders will go near it and then the decision to replace the soffit may occur in the winter when it is not suitable for the bees.

It is definitely a catch 22 , most fascia and soffit work is done when the birds stop nesting (well it is by sensible builders) which means it would not work out right for the bees, however it could be done in September when the birds are finished breeding.

Just thought I would put it out there for anyone local to assess. Nevermind.

If you had suggested that in time they would have to be dealt with there are lots of people with experience of that and they would have jumped to your aid. Has anybody any experience of a successful trap out? Maybe something to try in the spring?

Latest posts

Back