Fera/apha

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be interesting. They will certainly be more profit orientated, as all private companies are.

About APHA :
Our priorities
From 2014 to 2015, our priorities will be:
• look for new sources of income, and continue to introduce charges for services that are currently provided free to the industry

So, what price will we be paying for "Managing Varroa" etc ... ?

The last time i heard it was things like the NDB short courses that are at risk of not get funding and that the bee unit at York seems also a bit in limbo beteen APHA and Fera (Captia)

So who's going to volunteer to be Bee Health Advisors (if you do will they sack the SBIs)

Environment
By providing research to inform policy and applying this through interventions to protect and enhance the environment; New pest and disease threats
understanding and mitigating risks from exotic pests and diseases

Issuing SHB traps at reduced rates.

Probably nothing at the beginning and everything will be tickety boo, staff will be tupied over so no redundancy payments incurred by the government and the new agency will offer staff new contracts which will be less inviting. The service we once had will probably be not as good but cheaper to run (obviously) and the savings ending up in someones pocket. (your tax )

As for the bees, time will tell but I have my sneaky suspicions that not all will be good.

Expecting to get £700m in 10 years when it says currently 40m a year doesn't sound great for the customer.
How long before a bee inspector turns up with an invoice ?
Lab charges for testing bees.
Who knows but the end result will be more money out of the pockets of farmers and beekeepers.

How will a private company deal with the chemical giants in things like a neonics ban ?
Would the threat of a costly lawsuit sway their decision ?

they will want a bigger share of the EU funding.
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/newsroom/121_en.htm

How will a private company deal with the chemical giants in things like a neonics ban ?

They won't, It's a frightening thought

I wonder how this will affect the beekeeping industry.

Mmm yes,

From Capita
Our business strategy is to grow the business in a controlled and profitable manner across our target markets.

From APHA
We work to safeguard animal and plant health for the benefit of people, the environment and the economy.

I think we can look forward to lots of nice cosy relationships behind the scenes

All of these sell offs (excuse me: "joint ventures") are just asset stripping by another name.

Latest posts

Back