Feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marzipan have been made from almond seeds and sugar about 1:1

Almond has 54% fat.

Hi Busy Bee

I can see why you asked such a question as marzipan is almond based but...............

to make marzipan the following are required;
Ingredients:
? 2 cups granulated sugar
? 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
? 4 cups ground almonds (or almond meal)
? 2 egg whites
? Powdered sugar for dusting

What is cream of tartar?
Cream of tartar is the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate, an acid salt that has a number of uses in cooking.

So my advice is No do not feed marzipan to Honey Bees. There are plenty of alternatives.

Regards;

Thank you Bcrazy, it was just a thought. Being a bit lazy just, buying instead of making fondant.

Busy Bee

I think most people buy the fondant so dont think of it as been lazy. Just go to your local cake shop/bakers/baking supplys, I am sure they will sell you a 12kg blcok at trade price (about ?8-10)

But I assume you are just planning ahead for next year/ 2009 winter?

Well to be honest I would like to have a block of fondant ready as the wether is to pick up here to 14C for 1 day this week then dropping back down to cold winds low temperatures and frost at nite for the 2nd week of April. If it continues like this it could be hasky around here until after May, which would suggest poor forage conditions for Bees. The blackthorn is starting to make an appearance and my bees could miss it if the temp dosen't rise. Global warming my arse!! It was -2c at 8pm Saturday evening.

Busy Bee

Well to be honest I would like to have a block of fondant ready as the wether is to pick up here to 14C for 1 day this week then dropping back down to cold winds low temperatures and frost at nite for the 2nd week of April. If it continues like this it could be hasky around here until after May, which would suggest poor forage conditions for Bees. The blackthorn is starting to make an appearance and my bees could miss it if the temp dosen't rise. Global warming my arse!! It was -2c at 8pm Saturday evening.

Busy Bee

If you cant get it from your local baker then give Andrews ingredients a ring and you can collect from their office at 142 Dromore Road, Hillsborough. 02892683030 I paid ?12.50 for a 12.5 kg box. It should not be too far from you.

Brilliant Frogdogdiver,

Not far, managably. Thank you shall keep this info.

Kind regards

Busy Bee

No problems your welcome. I heard that one of the local associations think it was dromore bought 20 packs but they sold it to them for £10 a box. Will be looking in to it with my own association for a discount.

Back