Feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hi

I have had fondant on the past 2 months because of the warm weather.

I have 2 hives with 14x12 brood.

I have hefted the hives this morning. I can lift with one hand but I really dont know if they are too light.

The fondant has all but gone - so not sure if I should still feed.

They have been quite active the last few days.

Dont want to overfeed as I did last year so they dont have room and swarm early.

But dont want to underfeed so they suffer........

Any advice?

Nick

Hi

Any advice?

Nick

They do not suffer. They die right away when food is finish.

Only way is to look fast inside the hive.

Cover off and then look if you see capped food. If you see, things are OK.

Then again quick peek when weathers are better. No one in internet can know your food stores.

If you notice later that food is too much, take extra off and return it later.

Minimum food store is about two frames full food. It is in Langstroth about 5 kg.

Thank you. I have a national hive and the frames are quite tight together.

I think 11 frames. Do you think I would still be able to see?

I find mine are not storing the fondant, they are just going up to eat it if they need it. I hear they do sometimes sore it, are yours storing the fondant rather than eat it?

Thank you. I have a national hive and the frames are quite tight together.

I think 11 frames. Do you think I would still be able to see?

You need not touch the frames. Perhaps bees are over the cells but give a little smoke. Combs are a little bit fat and you should see white cappings under upper bars.

If temp outside is 14C, you may lift a little the sidemost frames. Keep smoke ready that they do not attack. Don't open the middle frames.

Hi

I have hefted the hives this morning. I can lift with one hand but I really dont know if they are too light.

Dont want to overfeed as I did last year so they dont have room and swarm early.

Any advice?

Nick

Get yourself a polycarbonate crown board. easily made. Then quickly swap the crown boards. Then you can take a little time to look at the tops of frames. You can see the capped top cells in a national if they are there.

feeding

As with 'Winker' I too have given fondant butbees are eating it rather than storing...also lots of pollen going into the hives today

Hi

Any advice?

Nick
Great question and one I am keen to understand. Mine all had 2.5k bags of fondant and they are getting very near the end. I had a quick peek on Sunday by lifting the CB and could see at least one frame of stores but I have no idea whether it is the fondant they are storing or whether they are bringing something in along with the pollen. In retrospect I should have had a better look but at teh time I just wanted to know that they had some stores as the hives are now pretty light. I am not sure whether to give more fondant, wait a bit or feed a quick weak syrup in a week or so if the weather stays good in the SE.

As with 'Winker' I too have given fondant butbees are eating it rather than storing...also lots of pollen going into the hives today

Ask yourself why the bees might expend energy moving it, collect water to process it; and what gain is achieved for them, at this time of the year. I think you might decide they have better things to do with their time.

Professionals use plastic folio sheet under cover.

Mr Finn tell us more... I use some glass quilts/covers/crownboards so I can see the bees... saw one doing a waggle dance atop the frames this afternoon when topping up the fondant tub!

I was wondering about feeding also.. I hefted all mine yesterday and some are light, they have fondant on and are eating it. In the next week or so i am going to give them some syrup, would it be ok to give them ambrosia that i have left over that was purchased from t/////s or is it too thick ????

Store (some) Syrup
Feed on Fondant

yes i know it is a simplification but in relation to when there is an excess up top.

Last edited:
Unless I am really needing new glasses that feeder is wood painted green?

PH

Unless I am really needing new glasses that feeder is wood painted green?

PH

If you mean is the MM green frame feeder is it wood or plastic?, then it is plastic like their 'miller feeder'.

It looks very like wood to me, but if you have one and can vouch for it being plastic I will believe it?

I am wrong. I phoned them and they are plastic.

PH

Last edited:
off to spec savers.....;)

Latest posts

Back