Feeding with a glass quilt...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I have a WBC hive, and am about to get my first nuc of bees. Rather than a roof-board, I have a glass quilt. Could anyone tell me the most effective way to feed the new arrivals?
Many thanks

Does your glass quilt have a bee escape in it? (oval plastic thing). I know the Thornes one does. If so, take the escape out and whack a cheap contact feeder on top - basically a bucket full of syrup that allows the bees to feed at a gauze hole in the lid.

If there is no hole in the quilt, then the most sensible thing to do is as Jim says - get a conventional crownboard for feeding.

Precisely Heather, and a much better and safer feeder. The Frame Feeder that is.

PH

How do you use a contact feeder without all the syrup leaking out like mine does?

I have made a couple of double sized frame feeders which have been great... however, they can empty them faster than I can fill them (almost!)

I have heard horror stories about contact feeders.

What about miller or jumbo feeders... surely they would be better?

How do you use a contact feeder without all the syrup leaking out like mine does?

I only use contact feeders - the trick is to fill up the feeder until it is brim full and then fix the lid on. Up end it (you will loose a trickle of syrup) and then once the flow has almost stopped, pop onto the crown board.

A vacuum of sorts is created and the bees can empty it happily !

regards

S

Never had a problem with a contact feeder. Fill them up, flip them over (over a bucket because a bit slops out), then stick it on the crown board. 1 gallon, good to go. No need to open the hive up and put frames in and out, so very easy to change/refill. Even when they're really belting it in September, a gallon will do a week.

I've also tried an Ashforth, and ended up with a lot of drowned bees, so I've given up with that idea.

I prefer rapid feeders on the crown board.

healthl7.jpg

I've had loads of contact feeders leak due to various reasons.

lids that don't seal
atmospheric pressure / temperature variations
density of the feed (very runny stuff works sort of, thick stuff doesn't)

I've used them exactly as per the instruction - filled completely, lid securely fitted, inverted over a bucket until the drips stop (they don't) and all they do is piss the feed through the hive, soaking the bees and feeding the slugs.

I've never experienced a leaking rapid feeder

(and when I said loads of contact feeders above I actually meant all, they are universally crap!)

Where is it going to leak from?

If you look closer PH you will see my pic is a rapid feeder not a contact feeder.

There is more chance of a frame feeder leaking.

I think PH was referring to contact feeders. I've used contact feeders ok, but only in a situation when the feed is going to be used quickly (prime swarm on a boxfull of foundation for instance) only way I've got them to stop leaking is to squeeze the bottom (or top) as you invert it, so when you let go of it theres a partial vacuum inside it. But even then, given more than a couple of days the pressure can equalise and end up soaking the inside of the hive. As Jim said rapid feeders are a much better bet....and frame feeders.

Not up to speed with the precise differences but I dislike top feeders of the circular sort as I have had all sorts of issues with them.

As for frame feeders leaking I test them in the spring and repair any with issues, and I have never had one leak in service.

If you kike them Jim then good luck but I personally consider them to be 2nd class. Esp for a weaker colony who find it too cold.

PH

. Esp for a weaker colony who find it too cold.

PH

I have them sat in a polystyrene ring, that squarely fits and fills under the roof, so quite warm.

Either way, just my preference, but one day I might give the bees my credit card number and let them choose what they want from Thornes!

Thanks all - yes my glass quilt has a hole, so could use a contact feeder, but like the idea of a frame feeder - although a contact feeder is a bit less disruptive?

Thanks all - yes my glass quilt has a hole, so could use a contact feeder, but like the idea of a frame feeder - although a contact feeder is a bit less disruptive?

or a rapid feeder! :smash: They are not the same as a contact feeder:driving:

Latest posts

Back