Feeding Syrup - the Bees choice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I am currently feeding my bees syrup, and what I find interesting and sometimes disturbing, is the way different colonies react.

As an example using the 'Home Bees' (out apiaries reflect similar responses).

Colony 1 = 4 pints per week, steady gradual take
Colony 2 = 4 pints per day, gluttons
Colony 3 = 4 pints per 4 days, steady take
Colony 4 = 4 Pints per week, slow uptake and then 90% in one day

Most of the colonies that are together are related and the ones with the slow uptake, the bees are on the syrup, just not taking it down. All equipment identical and the syrup is bulk made and delivered from the same container at the same time.

Space, amount of brood, number of bees, comb to draw or not, amount of stores in the hive, temperature, ventilation.

All these (and other factors) can easily make a difference to the immediate needs of the colony.

There will be one/two/several simple reason/s why. The problem is sorting the multiple-reason scenarios from the single-reason ones.

RAB

You forgot availability of natural forage RAB

MJBee,

Thank you for pointing out that omission.:mad:

Of course, I only left it out to keep those out there thinking...... There is one at least.....

Yep, forgot all about that one. Any more from any more out there?

Regards, RAB

Maybe the gluttons are basically lazy and taking the easy option.

I have three colonies, one has a new Queen, about 2 months ago, and steadily take fondant, looked in today and stores building nicely.

Hive two, is a swarm from the hive above, was taking a litre a day of syrup, now slowed down, maybe because of the apilife var, and is down to about half a litre a day, but a smaller colony.

Hive three are gluttons, stores building very well, but next change over they will get fondant. I think they are taking the easy option, although they are collecting lots of pollen.

Feeding mine Apiinvert whilst treating second tray of Apigard
My two strongest hives 14x12 + super have taken down 4 litres, my other colonies have taken 3 litres each in two weeks.

Back