Feeding nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Just a quick question , as we nearing the end of September, what feed woukd you use on nucs, would you use fondant or heavy syrup

Many thanks

Fondant

But it really doesn't matter, so feed whatever is practically easier for you. Just be very careful, if using syrup, not to trigger robbing by spilling any or feeding during the day.

I use fondant in a take away or 1ltr Icecream tub over the feed hole/s and simply replenish it once gone. I have two feed holes on my nucs as I can simply spilt them in to 2 x 3, as a 6 frame over wintered nuc bees always have access to the feed.

When it is now time of winter feeding, syrup is best option to the hive. Feeding is over in a week and bees cap the stores more or less. Often less. The hive does not need laying space any more.

I use fondant in a take away or 1ltr Icecream tub over the feed hole/s and simply replenish it once gone. I have two feed holes on my nucs as I can simply spilt them in to 2 x 3, as a 6 frame over wintered nuc bees always have access to the feed.

One box hive takes in 10 litres syrup in a day.

Hive or nuc feeding is better be quick that colony cannot start brood rearing again.

Would that be 1:1, 2:1, or something inbetween? and should we use imperial or metric syrup?

You surely must know without me, what syrup you feed in the UK to bees in autumn.

And when you feed 1:2 syrup, take one metre water and 6 imperial foot sugar.

Latest posts

Back