Feeding new colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefaye

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For the last month, I have been feeding my two new colonies 1:1 sugar syrup to stimulate the drawing out of wax.

I have ambrosia in the garage from last winter that I intend using in Autumn.

I ran out of sugar this morning so I thought I would use ambrosia as a 'one off'. The ambrosia liquid feed is 2:1 so I watered it down to 1:1 but it seemed very watery compared to what is produced using granulated sugar.

Is this ok to do or am I better fighting through the mobs of BBQ shoppers and go get more sugar?

(I had asked a couple of other beekies but got differing answers/opinions)

Also, when can I ease off with feeding - I know the season is in full swing and the bees are foraging well but I don't want them to struggle to have the brood box full and ready for wintering down? (they still have 3 frames to draw out)

I know the season is in full swing and the bees are foraging well but I don't want them to struggle to have the brood box full and ready for wintering down? (they still have 3 frames to draw out)
Stop feeding, they don't need it.

If you let them fill the brood box with stores, where will the queen lay? The colony needs a good supply of bees too.

If they haven't enough stores come autumn you can top it up with fondant.

Assuming these were nucs when you got them and you have been feeding for a month then don't think they need feed at the moment with this weather. They should be able to get enough to keep them going, and you can assess in September whether you need to feed for the winter.
I wouldn't worry about them needing to draw out every frame in the box, they will do as much as they need. You could even use a dummy board so they gradually increase the size of the box.

The most important is to have maximum amount of space to brood.
With feeding system you have filled valuaböe combs with sugar.

Bee can make brood only, if they can keep the space at 36C temperature.
To give ready combs or make combs does not help in this issue.

-

hiya

thanks everyone

I am feeding 1:1 at the moment to stimulate their wax production as they need assistance with only being a 4 frame new colony. They do not store 1:1feed so are not wasting valuable brood space. It is working extremely well as they have drawn out almost four frames. The brood & store pattern is as expected so my feeding was required to get them set up & has not been an issue.

I have a dummy board in and brood build up is going great especially in this weather.

My question was around ambrosia - if you were not using 1:1 granulated sugar syrup, would you be doing the right thing adding water at a ratio of 1:1 with ambrosia liquid syrup? - simply curious to know if diluted ambrosia can be used

hiya

They do not store 1:1feed

Who on earth told you that? - they'll store anything they're given when they're in the mood. Yes, you can water down ambrosia but why would you need to really - I'll agree with everyone else - they don't need syrup of any kind at the moment I had a nuc (2 frames brood, one drawn and empty and three foundation) with an introduced queen last month - they drew out all the frames and filled them jam packed with honey in little over a week and almost left the queen with nowhere to lay.

I would feed when their natural food supply runs out. Simple economics. Perhaps if you have a colony that split/swarmed etc and you have a hive full of none flying bees, give a little, but very soon they would mature and be flying workers collecting their own stores.

Last I feed one of my splits, similar 4 or 5 frame colony, I suspect I delayed the queen from laying in volume as the bees we too busy fill every available space with my supply and the abundant natural supply of honey and pollen.

If they have stores stop feeding
If they have no stores feed
observation that's all it takes

Last I feed one of my splits, similar 4 or 5 frame colony, I suspect I delayed the queen from laying in volume as the bees we too busy fill every available space with my supply and the abundant natural supply of honey and pollen.

aaaa. You live in Sweden. i live in south Finland.

What ever, you have there summer and bees gets food from nature. My 3-frame mating nucs are too full nectar but I move them to big hives and I give empty combs them to lay.

4 frame nuc is too small to build up to winterer. So it is better to give a frame of emerging bees there. If you put 2 frames, you may put the colony to the normal bee box.

If bees get pollen from nature in August, it inspire brood rearing. Feeding is only filling the combs with sugar. It is sure. Bees does not need it.

I have now 15 mating nucs and I know how they act. Now they need more bees from brood.

Small hives are in danger to be robbed if you feed them in August.

In my area yield season continues.

hiya

thanks everyone

I am feeding 1:1 at the moment to stimulate their wax production as they need assistance with only being a 4 frame new colony. They do not store 1:1feed so are not wasting valuable brood space. It is working extremely well as they have drawn out almost four frames. The brood & store pattern is as expected so my feeding was required to get them set up & has not been an issue.

I have a dummy board in and brood build up is going great especially in this weather.

My question was around ambrosia - if you were not using 1:1 granulated sugar syrup, would you be doing the right thing adding water at a ratio of 1:1 with ambrosia liquid syrup? - simply curious to know if diluted ambrosia can be used

You need to listen to the advice. No one but you seems to think you should be feeding....there is a clue in there somewhere!
E

thanks everyone

I will keep being guided by my mentor as he is telling me to feed & I will bear in mind everyone's replies - he has over 30 years experience & a thriving apiary so I need to trust what is being taught

I agree that observation is the key as there is no hard & fast rule

It is so difficult to filter all the info everyone provides as everyone tells you different things (realising some get very pushy that their way is the right way)

my association have new colonies this month so I will stick with what they are doing...will copy their style till I am experienced enough to have my own style.

Last edited:
My mentors have 30 & 35yrs experience between them and I am also following the guidelines set out by my association for new colony build up.

I did not need advice on feeding. The brood box is building up perfectly for over wintering using the methods I have been taught. I was simply curious to see what can be done with ambrosia.

Yes feed, feed, feed. I have no experience of ambrosia so cannot advise on your question but keep feeding and feeding. It will save their energy as they wont have to leave the hive and forage which of course is a much better option for the honeybee.

Oh and maybe ask your mentors to teach you how to handle a late swarm (when there are no drones for mating and colonies are in decline)

That seems to be the only way.

Guys i wasnt being serious...Yes feed as much as you like but then know what to do when there is no space and they swarm in september! my attempt at a lightheartd post... Personally i feed as little as possible.

Still, it gave you another opportunity for a snipe Finman. Well done!:winner1st:

Guys i wasnt being serious...Yes feed as much as you like but then know what to do when there is no space and they swarm in september! my attempt at a lightheartd post... Personally i feed as little as possible.

Still, it gave you another opportunity for a snipe Finman. Well done!:winner1st:

Took me a while to get the joke..... So finman has no hope
Having got it though...it did make me snigger!

Beefaye you do it your way, there your bees and you feel you know best. You remind me of another lady on here, she is just like you asking for advice then chooses to ignore it. Maybe the start of next season you both could get together and see if you could unite your bees and make a viable colony you could share.

In Beemaster forum is the same question. He has feeded 7 weeks in the middle of summer

I'm in middle TN & have 2 packages started June 1. I have been feeding them with the understanding I would stop about 4-6 weeks after installing. But they are still taking about a gallon a week in the top feeder.

Thank you for understanding my question. Since June is 2 months later than the normal to start a package here, I was just wondering because everything I read says feed new packages for the first few weeks, and they will stop taking it on their own.

But they aren't stopping.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

They do not stop. What heck anyone do if theÿ do not stop?

Latest posts

Back