Feeding Fondant.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I cannot seem to get a hold of fondant for feeding. Nothing on supermarket shelves but ready made, ready to use icing sugar paste. I was just wondering if this is similair to fondant and would be ok to use. Thanks.

Yes it would be OK

Check contents first to ensure that the flavouring added is to the bees taste, my bees do not like the peaty taste of the Islay Malts, which is a good thing as they are to my preference!

<snip>
James

(Not sure how serious James is being, but) be very wary about using supermarket stuff. Triple check the contents for anything that ain't sugar. Ask around local bakers for a block of the real thing.

(Not sure how serious James is being, but) be very wary about using supermarket stuff. Triple check the contents for anything that ain't sugar. Ask around local bakers for a block of the real thing.

just come from a cake outlet where I was told had cheap fondant, £19.90 per 5kilos bucket (jaw drop) told the owner how much I paid delivered he said he could not match it, I didn't think he could, ha well ill keep trying for some where local so I can pick as and when needed.

if you don't have a local bake depot just ask local baker's shops - they'll often happily sell you a box. they also do used food grade poly buckets cheap.

friars pride Peterborough about a hour away I want some where a bit closer than that, i have a family member my auntie jo who makes cakes for a living but she lives in Lincoln so might see where she gets her fondant from, I have registered to see how much they charge at friars , simon sell at 27 pounds for twelve and half kilos delivered,so just looking around

Hi all. I cannot seem to get a hold of fondant for feeding. Nothing on supermarket shelves but ready made, ready to use icing sugar paste. I was just wondering if this is similair to fondant and would be ok to use. Thanks.

I was caught short a year or two back and tried a pack of Tesco's icing 'fondant' (at least I think that's what they called it) - has got various oils and fats added, plus vanilla essence. Girls wouldn't touch it, so it went straight in the bin.

I then started to make my own - using 'icing sugar' made from Tate & Lyle's finest by courtesy of a coffee grinder. Does the job ok when mixed with 2:1 syrup, plus a little honey for flavour. The girls absolutely loved it and wolfed it down - but - it takes hours just to make a bowlful.

So from now on, it's plain Baker's Fondant for my lot.

LJ

simon sell at 27 pounds for twelve and half kilos delivered,so just looking around

Strewth ...

Have you thought about combining your order with someone else local and ordering 6 packs (75 kg) from Bako, delivered free, for £58. I know that must sound like a helluva lot of fondant, but split (say) 3 ways, it's only 2 packs each, and it can be used instead of sugar syrup at all times except early spring - and it won't go off in a hurry. Sugar prices are currently at their lowest for years, so it makes sense to stock up now.

And - if you bought from Bako at £9 (ish), you could sell any excess to beekeepers in your area for £15, and do 'em a favour - as well as yourself :). It would save 'em having to shell out £27 for a 9 quid item.

LJ

Do your bees REALLY need fondant now? :confused:

Some people only ever feed fondant, and I'd guess it's a bit further towards winter in Scotland than in the barmy south.

"6 packs (75 kg) .... I know that must sound like a helluva lot of fondant"

That's only enough for 12-18 hives if used properly if necessary rather than tinkering/trickle feeding over winter.

Do your bees REALLY need fondant now? :confused:

Some people only ever feed fondant, and I'd guess it's a bit further towards winter in Scotland than in the barmy south.

However, those that "only ever feed fondant" would not include those asking how to buy the stuff in the first place.

It strikes me as more probable that the OP has picked up the all-too-common beginners' misapprehension that winter fondant feeding is automatically necessary.

If a hive were to be so light and empty of stores at the end of a mild October as to need fondant feeding now, I would be expecting there to be some cause worthy of attention.
The symptom wouldn't be the only problem. As so often in beekeeping!

"6 packs (75 kg) .... I know that must sound like a helluva lot of fondant"

That's only enough for 12-18 hives if used properly if necessary rather than tinkering/trickle feeding over winter.

if you don't have a local bake depot just ask local baker's shops - they'll often happily sell you a box. they also do used food grade poly buckets cheap.
It was to those very folks you were addressing earlier that I made my comments.
Exactly why some folk want one box, I dunno - maybe they only have a hive or two ?
LJ

Back