Feeding fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering, how do people apply fondant to hives? by this i mean do people put it on the crown board or straight on top of the frames?? I was putting mine on the crown board but 2 small clusters needed it and havent made it through. but my mate puts it straight on to the frames and he has kept bees for 40 years:sos:

Bit of both depending on their needs, some stores left on feeding hole....no stores left on frames.

I was wondering, how do people apply fondant to hives? by this i mean do people put it on the crown board or straight on top of the frames?? I was putting mine on the crown board but 2 small clusters needed it and havent made it through. but my mate puts it straight on to the frames and he has kept bees for 40 years:sos:
I go with the logic of 'as close to bees as possible'. There's probably a counter argument though.

This year I put it straight on top of the frames, beneath a see-through CB

ON top of frames is best IMO. Small colonies can struggle to each it above crown board, bigger ones seem to manage.

I had no option but to put it straight on top of the frames as I do not have an eke for my poly 14x12 nuc, it works great, the only problems are

a) need to scrape off brace comb before you can lay it down, which makes my bees go mad in this cold weather with the crown board off
b) it does make a small bit of a mess which will need scraped off some time where the bees haven't quite cleaned all of it off

But the proof is in the eating and my bees are making full use of it!

5762C8ED-FD66-4960-AA59-79DA5B05EE84-6185-000003CE6E539DF3.jpg

ON top of frames is best IMO. Small colonies can struggle to each it above crown board, bigger ones seem to manage. THATS WHATS HAPPEND TO 2 OF MINE THIS YEAR.. SMALL COLONIES AND DIDNT MAKE IT. I WILL CERTAINLY REMEMBER THIS WINTER

When I put it on the frames I STILL keep it in a plastic bag! I don't just put the fondant on roar otherwise it gets everywhere!!?
E

When I put it on the frames I STILL keep it in a plastic bag! I don't just put the fondant on roar otherwise it gets everywhere!!?
E

:yeahthat: Nothing worse than roaring fondant :hairpull:

I was told to put mine above the crown board after already putting it on top of the frames, moved it (squashing bees in the process) I shall put it directly on frames next year, my bees seem to be reaching it though.

So i think its straight on to the frames next year for me i was talking to a friend and he hasnt lost any colonies through starvation since he started putting fondant straight on 2 the frames thanks everyone 4 the replys

I think the decision partly depends on how cold it is. I wouldn't remove a crown board to apply fondant in this weather. In these conditions, applying fondant above the crown board causes much less chilling of the hive. If one is careful, one can slide the fondant over the hole in the crownboard while simultaneously sliding away the existing cover (small tile or whatever you use to block the hole). The result is that no cold air rushes through the colony.

Fondant in a plastic bag?

E

About to put some fondant on. In the past I have put it directly onto the frames with an eke and then a crown board.

I have read of people wrapping the fondant in clingfilm or putting it into a bag. Scoring said clingfilm or bag and then putting in the hive

Silly question perhaps but are a couple of slits with a sharp knife enough to give the bees access? I can only foresee bees milling around the outside trying to work out how to get in or bees who have worked out how to get in then not being able to find the slit to come out again

Does a couple of slits actually work?

I have read of people wrapping the fondant in clingfilm or putting it into a bag. Scoring said clingfilm or bag and then putting in the hive

When I used cling film they chewed it into bits, dragged it through the hive and tried to throw it out the front. Some got jammed in, blocking part of the entrance

I'm sticking to sturdier plastic bags or take-away cartons

When I used cling film they chewed it into bits, dragged it through the hive and tried to throw it out the front. Some got jammed in, blocking part of the entrance

I'm sticking to sturdier plastic bags or take-away cartons

Ditto
Cazza

I put mine on raw without any plastic to hold it in.

I have yet to see the results.

Being a northener, I serve my fondant with gravy and mushy peas

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Just returned from adding fondant to 23 hives in our BBKA apiary.
Snowing gently, 1C but little wind. Snow on ground.

Technique:

Fondant cut in thin 1 cm wide slices and placed on cut up poly bags - as in supermarket bags. Not covered up - just lying flat.
Stone and roof removed by one person
Fondant added ideally on top of frames in an eke (fondant face down - poly above to keep fondant moist) - but if we don't have enough ekes - and we don't - placed on top of frames.
Crown board replaced.

(If no eke, board pressed down to flatten fondant)

roof replaced.
Stone on top replaced.

With organisation:
one person with fondant cutting/prep
one person removing roof/stone and crownboard
one person placing fondant

time for hive to be open is under 30 secs.

We fed all 23 in under 30 minutes. Very few flying bees due to cold...

We do this weekly at present..(none have many stores)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back