Feeding Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*ZhG*StGeorge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I have had my girls 4 weeks now. They came on 5 frames and were given to me already in my hive. I was told there was a chance of honey this year but to be honest all I want is a strong colony ready to go through the winter so I will not be taking any.

Up until now I have been feeding with a 1:1 sugar solution, not too much as they are still very busy bringing in pollen and nectar from the garden. They have built out another 3 1/2 new frames since I got them.

At the weekend I got a box of fondant from my local baker, £11 for 12.5kg for those interested, can I feed them this now, there is a lot of water around for them in their area.

I am also thinking of Varroa treatment, I have a varroa floor but have not yet put the floor back to monitor the fall, would the best treatment be hivemakers receipe and when should I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Fondant is winter feed- so no, don't feed fondant now!

On the assumption that they have sufficient stores (if you have been feeding them then this is almost certainly the case) then stop feeding: the queen needs space to lay and if all available space is full of feed then she can't lay. If the weather in Kent is anything like here in Surrey there is a significant flow on and your bees will do just fine without your help.

As regards varroa, treatment with apiguard should start in 2-3 weeks to ensure average temperature about 15 degrees for the 4 weeks that you should treat apiguard for. Others will be along with differing ideas as regards varroa.

Unless you use Ambrosia = best for the bees.

I bet an old beekeeper told you that. LOL

Last edited:
I dont know the bee digestive issues, but feeding syrup in a large tank inside the hive in cold weather will chill the bees. Fondant has less water content so has lower heat capacity so it is better for winter than syrup from a heat perspective. It might also absorb excess condensation. But does "best in winter" mean "bad in summer"?

Wrong.....fondant is feed at anytime food,especially if thats all you ever feed.;)

Wrong.....fondant is feed at anytime food,especially if thats all you ever feed.;)

Yes, but requires water for bees to use which means unnecessary journeys for them = wasted energy.

Yes, but requires water for bees to use which means unnecessary journeys for them = wasted energy.

So i assume you think these journeys to collect water are easier in the middle of winter when its freezing cold than in summer,as you think fondant is only for winter use. I used nothing but fondant for eight years for all feeding, with no problems at all, i still use only fondant in summer if needed...200 small mini nucs,with not many bees in manage quite well on it....as do any other box's that need food.
It already contains quite a high water content by the way,much less energy expended by the bees than having to drive of moisture from syrup in the autumn..

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt your success for a second: however it isn't proof in its own right. They might do even better with a more liquid feed.

My opinion (and it's just that) is that providing a closer source of water (ie liquid feed) makes more logical sense. It doesn't preclude the use of fondant: I have two mini nucs full of fondant at the moment am of course in total agreement with you about it's use in the winter.

Take a look at a queen plus her attendants 8/10 bees in a postal cage,in the post for say five days...they consume quite a bit of the fondant....no water in this cage.....now times that by several thousand bees feeding on a block of moist fondant.

Take a look at the link below.....+ Specifications....moisture content around 11%....so only about 5% below sealed honey.

http://www.hertsbees.org.uk/bee_tips/feeding_bees_with_bakers_fo.html

To take fondant down to store will need water. To consume it in winter - no (it produces water as a product of respiration) To feed larvae in the spring - definitely needs water - more so than honey does (that will need water, too, of course).

Use comes down to a) cost of feed (for smaller users), b) overall cost (inclusive labour, particularly for the larger users), c) ease of use (for those who do not want to mess with syrup), d) not wishing to using a thymolated feed, e) cold weather use (when liquid feed is inappropriate), f) emergency, g) storage (well sealed fondant does not 'go off').

Most newbies will likely feed far too much fondant, and likely end up with insufficient space for rapid brood nest expansion expansion in the spring.

Newer beeks should remember that not so much of the total stores is used for 'thermal maintenace' during the non-brooding part of the winter; most is used up while brooding for the spring expansion (before any decent nectar sources are available).

RAB

To consume it in winter - no (it produces water as a product of respiration)

No it does not....fondant does not breath....the bees do though :biggrinjester:and do your bees stop breathing in spring.

Such a big problem finding any water in this country....very similar to Arizona.

Last edited:
Use comes down to a) cost of feed (for smaller users), etc .........

RAB

I would hope that smaller users, as do some in business, would be willing to expend money to keep their bees fit and happy.

After all, say, two supers of honey - 50Lb @ £5 = £250 - they should be more than happy to spend extra money (£50?? of that`) to ensure good food winter for their bees.

I would hope that smaller users, as do some in business, would be willing to expend money to keep their bees fit and happy.

Hobby beekeepers do just that. Heaven know's how much that first jar of honey would have cost me........a darn sight more than my first egg. I have to own up that this forum has really opened my eyes as to what one can do with one's bees. I gain confidence and possibly knowledge as time goes by but I remain a beekeeper who has "pet bees" ..........
I have no aspirations to progress, save on knowledge.
How many of us are there here in the same situation.........really?

There is no difference really between fondant or syrup as far as 'fitness and happiness' is concerned. Fondant appears to cost the small user about a quid a kilo (of sucrose) and may not be so easily available as sugar which costs around 70p a kg?. 30% saving or 40% extra may not be something to be ignored for feeding the bees.

Not all of that £250 is profit, btw; jars, labels, fuel and capital expenditure are all a drain on that figure (ignoring all labour costs). Further, not all keepers get any return until their second year and not always, even then. Not all beekeepers sell honey, either.

To be quite honest, my bees have cost me very little for winter feeding for the last 4 or 5 years, but one could say that if I extracted the extra honey and replaced it with syrup/fondant, I could turn a profit with honey value versus sucrose costs. I just choose to let them keep their own stores for the winter. There is no chance that my next year's crop contains any sugar syrup if I don't feed any.

Sucrose is sucrose whichever way you feed it - I just listed a few of the factors which might be taken into account by the beekeeper.

RAB

Last edited:
Thank you all for your thoughts on fondant so far.

Not a lot on the varroa part, thanks plumberman, that is my next task. I know apigard is available but did I not see somewhere that 'the reciept' was better and well tested, watched the video hedgerow, great. Even got the school to come up with the isopropyl alcohol, wasn't that what they were using to make the false vodka?

What nice people you all are and so helpful. When I bought the lecthin crystals in the local healthfood store I was asked if I was going to spread them on my cornflakes and I said "no I am going to use them to protect my bees from varroa". A lady told me her son was taking lessons and I pointed her this way explaining about Hivemakers receipt, I hope he found us!

Latest posts

Back