Feeding fondant in September

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Q number 2:

I'm giving my bees Apilife Var at the moment but they're a bit thin on stores. I don't want to feed them syrup yet as there are still three/four supers on them because they still need the space. I don't want them filling them all up so 1. I have to dismantle a lot of heavy supers each time I renew the Apilife Var, 2. they won't need all that lot anyway as a lot will die off by the end of the month I expect. So, I'm giving them fondant. Any reasons why not? Then I'll switch to syrup at the end of this month.

Usually I leave it this late as it's generally quite hot and dry here -arid Suffolk - but I've never had such empty frames before which is due to such a dry August =much less nectar.

You might as well leave the supers for the bees if you have them on with Apilife bar as your honey will be tainted with thymol

Bit confused...... Treating with supers on......low on stores but three supers on......
If the supers have no food in then take them off. If there is a little food in some frames then put all the frames with food in one box and remove the empty ones. If you ARE treating then that honey will be for the bees anyway so if they ARE starving then feed syrup.
Do you have anyone local helping you at all?
E

Last edited:
As the rest have said - whatever is in the supers now are tainted, what difference feeding fondant rather than syrup? they will store both if it is available.

My August has been poor for forage too - should improve soon.
Bees will generally squash down at this time of year without problem so the supers could have come off. But lesson learned! :)

Last edited:
Bit confused...... Treating with supers on......low on stores but three supers on......
If the supers have no food in then take them off. If there is a little food in some frames then put all the frames with food in one box and remove the empty ones. If you ARE treating then that honey will be for the bees anyway so if they ARE starving then feed syrup.
Do you have anyone local helping you at all?
E
I've left empty supers on to give them room - having slimmed them down a bit three days ago, I popped in for a look today and every frame is covered + lots on crown board too.

I've left empty supers on to give them room - having slimmed them down a bit three days ago, I popped in for a look today and every frame is covered + lots on crown board too.
#
so if you feed them, they will start storing it, and don't believ, the the fairy tales spouted by some that they won't store fondant.
I would clear them down, they'll fit in a smaller space easily at this time of the year.

My August has been poor for forage too - should improve soon................edit..............

So has mine, and now the whole hillside opposite the apiary has just been cleared of all useful food/pollen sources. Waiting for a "drier" day to assess the state of the bees.

Back