Feeding Bees – Why? When? Where? How?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's us told then Poot!
The problem is you only get fed up with it by reading it, then it’s too late!
You’re right Lesley, the board rubber has whistled past my ear.....🧑‍🎓

Where have I been? I've been busy beyond belief moving to a new location and working on a house. I still have my bees and probably will have them until I die. I've had bees since 1969 so it is 52 years and a ton of memories. I got one more person started with a colony of bees this year. I am currently sitting watching bees flying out to forage and returning loaded with goldenrod nectar. The distinctive smell of goldenrod permeates the air around the colonies.

I notice most of the normal crowd hanging around here with a few new names among them.

Sometimes I wonder which are better at arguing, lawyers? or beekeepers? So far, I've seen someone post that the sun is shining and someone else immediately counters that it is not.

Sometimes I wonder which are better at arguing, lawyers? or beekeepers? So far, I've seen someone post that the sun is shining and someone else immediately counters that it is not.

That "someone" is me. It was a sarcastic comment directed at a "contributor" here who repeatedly contradicts most other peoples' opinions or interpretations of their beekeeping experiences and tries to stifle debate using ridicule; his 60 years of beekeeping apparently trumps everyone elses'.

That "someone" is me. It was a sarcastic comment directed at a "contributor" here who repeatedly contradicts most other peoples' opinions or interpretations of their beekeeping experiences and tries to stifle debate using ridicule; his 60 years of beekeeping apparently trumps everyone elses'.

So, that was not a joke. It was sarcastic age rasist comment. At least meant to be.

Beebe. You do not know how smart your comments seem in old eyes. Are you from Wales?

So, that was not a joke. It was sarcastic age rasist comment. At least meant to be.

Beebe. You do not know how smart your comments seem in old eyes. Are you from Wales?
Finman, please "lighten up" a little. No racist comment was made, and it is bad that you made such a suggestion.
Now, about "sarcastic". It seems strange to me that you would object to a sarcastic comment if it was written about you. You have made many sarcastic comments. There is another contributor to this forum who also makes frequent sarcastic comments about others. It seems that neither you nor he welcome any sarcasm which might be made by someone else.
This forum should be a place where beekeepers can ask questions, or share the benefits of their experience. It should not matter whether a beekeeper is 9, or 19, or 90 years old, and it should not matter whether they have been a beekeeper for 60 days or 60 years. It should be a place where politeness is a key ingredient of each comment.

How very true. However, what matters more still is whether they are talking sense or rubbish.

BEBE? There is an ignore facility built into the software. I have two on that. ;)

PH

I also have old eyes. I am not ageist or racist. What do you care where I come from? You regularly tell us how much beekeeing experience you have. Sometimes you share useful information with us but most times you make a joke at beekeepers who want to discuss things you disagree with. Your words are intended to wind people up but you complain when I bother to disagree with you....act your age.

I think Finman means ageist. Which, in fairness, the comment could be seen to be.

In my observation, a lot of the time Finman makes evidence based comments but then resorts to witty remarks when things start going in circles... Given the obtuse natureof much of British humour, I think he actually does quite well.

Experience does matter... Whilst not underestimating the value of a fresh set of eyes. I'm personally OK with being rapidly called out if I'm wrong (or in it) rather than being humoured for the sake of sparing my feelings. Put yourself in the shoes of the other, there is an entire searchable forum here: People spouting anecdotes which have previously been discussed multiple times must get tiresome.

I think Finman means ageist. Which, in fairness, the comment could be seen to be.

In my observation, a lot of the time Finman makes evidence based comments but then resorts to witty remarks when things start going in circles... Given the obtuse natureof much of British humour, I think he actually does quite well.
I really appreciate Finman's wit, and missed him when he was absent a few months back. I guess each person interprets posts differently but I find he's a breath of fresh air and never gratuitously offensive, unlike some.

One possibility is stay away from this forum. This is so full of mad stories. I cannot stand many great theories, what I see almost every day.

On another hand I miss these huge stories.

Basic need is to keep my English lanquage ready to use.

The best comment what I see often is, that English bees are so busy that they forage in rain and in low temperatures.

How very true. However, what matters more still is whether they are talking sense or rubbish.

BEBE? There is an ignore facility built into the software. I have two on that. ;)

PH
Thankyou. I tried that, but when I "ignore" some people here are so ubiquitous that threads start to make even less sense than is sometimes the case.

...it wasn't ageist. It was critical of an assumption that experience automatically infers superior judgement.
When @understanding_bees first put forward his thoughts and then started his defence of his position I thought, "Hold off! Calm Down! Don't rise to them!". Yet here I find myself ignoring all my own warnings.
Anyone who really wishes to find the "meat" in this thread will now struggle to do so. My unnecessary banter with another party is clogging the flow; I herby retire from the thread and hope it gets back on track. 😀

Polyhive, I cannot let your comment pass without challenging you. You seem to be implying that I have been talking rubbish. If you are in such strong disagreement with my beliefs about "sugar-cakes", which I might also now refer to as "fondant substitute", then please explain to me why you have not addressed a very fundamental question which I asked in posting #78:

The methods which Dani has used (posting #23), and which Richard Noel used (as referenced in posting #61) have significant elements in common with the method I described in my posting #1. If there is so much opposition to the methods which I have found to be helpful here in Australia, I wonder why there is no similar outcry against Dani’s advice, or against Richard Noel.

One possibility is stay away from this forum. This is so full of mad stories. I cannot stand many great theories, what I see almost every day.

On another hand I miss these huge stories.

Basic need is to keep my English lanquage ready to use.

The best comment what I see often is, that English bees are so busy that they forage in rain and in low temperatures.

As a fairly neutral observer I will say this about your suggestion for people to stay away from the forum. This forum is the best beekeeping forum I have found and for that I will never stop visiting it to gleam useful tips and information, however on the flip side it is also the most hostile and intimidating forum I have ever used. In the grand scheme of things it is not that hostile but as a comparison to every other forum I have ever used it is.

Sugar cakes? Never heard about them before.

Unless a it was basic innovation to feed package bees during travelling.

Last edited:
Eh? I said no such thing Understanding bees. LOL But if the cap fits matey: wear it with pride.

PH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back