Feeding - bag of sugar method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Evening all, I need to feed a hive in a hurry, this is the hive that reluctantly gave the wasps their last supper when autumn feeding. It's now the lightest of my 4 hives, perhaps not dangerously low, but taking no chances. I haven't got fondant, so have soaked a bag of sugar and I have it drying.
I know nothing of the good and bad of this method so please speak up before I plonk it over the feed hole in the morning...many thanks..

It is better than nothing. I've had to do it sometimes in a pinch, and they've made it, but if you have any frames from a dead out, or get a few from a friend, try that first.
Just in my experience, though

I know nothing of the good and bad of this method so please speak up before I plonk it over the feed hole in the morning...many thanks..

Make it into syrup and feed them that instead.

Evening all, I need to feed a hive in a hurry, this is the hive that reluctantly gave the wasps their last supper when autumn feeding. It's now the lightest of my 4 hives, perhaps not dangerously low, but taking no chances. I haven't got fondant, so have soaked a bag of sugar and I have it drying.

Hi
If you haven't got fondant, am sure they will take the bag of sugar just the same.
Bakers fondant from a super market cut in strips and put on top of frames would be what I would do.
If temps still in single figures where you are,like here,wouldn't give syrup yet.
Are your bees out flying & bringing in pollen?
Go with the sugar if you have no fondant, but leave it in a way that they find it.
I would bore a hole right through the middle of the bag of sugar & put it in a clear sandwich bag with access hole in plastic facing down on feed hole.
At least when you take of the roof, you will be able to see through into bag & see the bees feed.
Someone else might have different idea.
Sharon

I could make Syrup but we are probably about 3 weeks behind much of the country and I am 900 ft above sea level - there are not many bees flying at present

I've heard this described by several people who swear by it as emergency feeding:

1 bag of white sugar
1 empty super
1 bucket of water (not too cold)
1 golf tee
some old hand towels

Poke 5 holes or so on one side of the sugar bag with something like a golf tee
dunk bag under the surface of the bucket of water (not overly chilled if you want to be kind)
just as you feel the sugar bag getting soggy (but well before it disintegrates)
slip other hand under to support & withdraw bag from the bucket
place it over the feed hole
pack towels round the outside of the bag to reduce the air gap ie thermal loss in the super

I've not done it but I think it is a useful method to get you out of a pickle

If not flying, i wouldn't give syrup, unless emergency feeding is needed, bees on their last legs.
Go with your sugar, better than nothing. Hopefully they are ok.
As i mentioned above, i would get it as near to them as possible.
Check the situation without disturbing too much. They may need emergency feed if that low & not getting out.

I've heard this described by several people who swear by it as emergency feeding:

1 bag of white sugar
1 empty super
1 bucket of water (not too cold)
1 golf tee
some old hand towels

Poke 5 holes or so on one side of the sugar bag with something like a golf tee
dunk bag under the surface of the bucket of water (not overly chilled if you want to be kind)
just as you feel the sugar bag getting soggy (but well before it disintegrates)
slip other hand under to support & withdraw bag from the bucket
place it over the feed hole
pack towels round the outside of the bag to reduce the air gap ie thermal loss in the super

I've not done it but I think it is a useful method to get you out of a pickle

Very Good advice. I have never heard that one before.

Plonk it on. Can do no harm.

Bees have been living on sugar all winter at, say, 18% water or a lot are feeding their bees with fondant at 12% water. As an emergency feed it is better than not doing it. Just don't expect them to be brooding if close to starvation - or that may even be causing the problem! Many colonies starve at this time of the year because stores are used up feeding brood.

Responses are still coming in but since the original post there would have been time to nip out to Aldi or similar and bought an emergency pack of white icing fondant. One of my hives has had a block on this winter without any negative effect. _

The job should be done by now. Fondant later. Emergency is emergency and this method is sooo quick it should take minutes from finding them starving. A proper job of syrup in a frame or fondant on the top bars could follow as soon as possible.

To be honest, there has been time to convert the bag of sugar into fondant by now.

Another option I use is to place a sheet of newspaper on top of the frames, pour on some granulated sugar then add as much water as the sugar will absorb. Bees take this ok if they want it.

Evening all, I need to feed a hive in a hurry, this is the hive that reluctantly gave the wasps their last supper when autumn feeding. It's now the lightest of my 4 hives, perhaps not dangerously low, but taking no chances.
There are winter feeds and there are EMERGENCY feeds.
This doesn't actually sound like a proper emergency - might be, might not.
Personally, I think that (if you cant see through your crownboard), then if you are worried, you should open up and have a look. No need a full inspection, just can you find any stores, and are they near the bees.
Then you can decide whether they just need a mid-winter-ish top-up, or a flat panic *emergency* feed.

I haven't got fondant, so have soaked a bag of sugar and I have it drying.
That ain't how it works.
Bag of sugar, couple of small holes, in the water, then straight onto the hive, dripping wet.

However, if it is a 'panic - there's nothing there' situation, the only time I've seen it (after a friend's hive was robbed out by wasps while she was on holiday), we poured some Ambrosia over an empty comb (trying to fill lots of cells) and gave that to the bees for an immediate refuelling.
Ambrosia stores well from one season to the next. Having some around (like fondant) is no bad thing. Cheap insurance.

The wet bag of sugar is principally called into play at an out apiary, where its easier to buy a bag than go all the way home and then come out again. A kilo of sugar should keep the colony alive until next week's visit.

The forecast for the weekend is positively warm - I'd suggest planning a clear look inside, then, if not before.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure in the Haynes manual it said allow the bag of sugar to dry? Never mind, it's on and it was still quite wet. Will take a peek next week when it warms up, maybe syrup is possible then. To be honest I can't say if it's an emergency feed, but this hive is much the lighter of the 4 I have.

An easy way to use a bag of sugar is to cut a small hole about the size of a ten pence coin in the middle one side and pour in half a pint of water and invert it over the feed hole. The water will stop the sugar trickling down into the hive.

An easy way to use a bag of sugar is to cut a small hole about the size of a ten pence coin in the middle one side and pour in half a pint of water and invert it over the feed hole. The water will stop the sugar trickling down into the hive.

What weight bag of sugar for half a pint of water.

Latest posts

Back