Feeding back honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A few months ago I acquired a hive that needed a bit of TLC. When I took the roof off, a tupperware that had been above the crown board had been filled with comb and honey. I've kept it and now want to return it to the bees. Any recommendation of how best to return it - If I just put it above the crownboard might it end in a disastrous mess of comb? What happens if I just slice it up and lay it on top of the frames? I don't want to keep it for myself as I think it might have originally just been sugar syrup.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
A few months ago I acquired a hive that needed a bit of TLC. When I took the roof off, a tupperware that had been above the crown board had been filled with comb and honey. I've kept it and now want to return it to the bees. Any recommendation of how best to return it - If I just put it above the crownboard might it end in a disastrous mess of comb? What happens if I just slice it up and lay it on top of the frames? I don't want to keep it for myself as I think it might have originally just been sugar syrup.
Carve it up, put it in a sieve overnight to drain, preferably in a warm place, feed the honey back to the bees that drains out in a feeder, render the wax down and make a candle to light the evenings as they get shorter ...

Some of it looks a bit crystallised in the photo so whatever is left after you have drained it wash out with a little warm water and you can add the washings to the drained honey - they will take it down.

Couple of pieces of thickly cut toast made from home made bread, big knife, chop chop spread it on and wolf it down. I reckon if they built that up inside a container that was feeding them, it's honey.
Be a pig and enjoy yourself ;)

Carve it up, put it in a sieve overnight to drain, preferably in a warm place, feed the honey back to the bees that drains out in a feeder, render the wax down and make a candle to light the evenings as they get shorter ...

Some of it looks a bit crystallised in the photo so whatever is left after you have drained it wash out with a little warm water and you can add the washings to the drained honey - they will take it down.
Thanks very much for the suggestion - it's in the boiler cupboard now and will be fed back this week - at least they'll finally be feeding themselves!

Couple of pieces of thickly cut toast made from home made bread, big knife, chop chop spread it on and wolf it down. I reckon if they built that up inside a container that was feeding them, it's honey.
Be a pig and enjoy yourself ;)
Thanks for the advice - some is going back to the bees - but i suspect a little of it might make it's way on to some breakfast toast.

The tupperware container was probably covering fondant. That's long gone and they have expanded comb into the container.......That's honey and served as nature intended. :)

Thanks for the advice - some is going back to the bees - but i suspect a little of it might make it's way on to some breakfast toast.
Even if it did have some sugar in it you are not selling it ... no problem... you can eat as much of it as you like ... share it with the bees ... some of the drainings in a jar for your toast and the rest for ths girls.... I know the purists like to mash the comb and honey onto a piece of toast ... personally ?~ I get fed up of picking the bits of wax out of my teeth ! I'd rather have either runny honey or soft set //

Latest posts

Back