Feeding back brace comb and some stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*ZhG*StGeorge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
My friendly keeper came round last week a told me to put my fondant straight on top of the frames. Up until now I had been using a plastic box with a hole in the bottom over the feeder hole. He suggested I use an eke and then the crown board on top.

I left a week ago for a small hol and on my return they had built a lot of brace comb, filled most with stores and a little brood.

I have taken all the brace comb off and reverted to the plastic box, with a hole in, above the crown board. How do I feed the rest back to them, do I just put it in the box for them to take?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would have used a crown board below and on top and woukld now do the same with the brace comb. Brood, crown board with holes, comb, crown board without holes and roof
E

. He suggested I use an eke and then the crown board on top.

That's the thing to do in the Winter if the bees are short of stores. In cold weather, the bees wont go up into a feeder. They also dont build comb.
I've seen advice on here suggesting you put fondant over the feed hole of the crown board in Winter as well , but I put it straight over the cluster in an eke or super.

Latest posts

Back