feeding and treating

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
hi all is it possible to feed bees with suger syirp and treat with apiguard at the same time? thanks to all:hat:

My mate is trying this with his Bees. So far some of his bees have taken the feed while others have left it untouched. I have treated mine and have just started feeding them.

hi mate thank for the reply , did you feed and treat at the same time? regards

There have been a few threads about this. Seems to come down to- you're not supposed to feed while apiguard is on, but if the're starving, better to feed than let them starve. The problem is not that they won't feed, it's that they don't concentrate on moving the apiguard.

I fed and treated at the same time had to as above its better than let them starve. 2nd treatment on today and may have to do the same.

its better than let them starve.

I would dare to say that feeding for sustaining the colony is little different from them foraging. Feeding a huge amount of syrup for winter stores is different almost entirely.

The former is obviously unavoidable; the latter usually is.

Regards, RAB

although the more experienced on here will confirm or deny, but fondant may be a better alternative to syrup when Apiguarding...

fondant may be a better alternative to syrup when Apiguarding

Inclined to agree, but avoidance, if possible, seems to be the instruction?

Regards, RAB

Interesting article about feeding in this month's Beecraft.

essentially saying a contact feeder gives a slower discharge which is more akin to a nectar flow. The rapid feeders really are rapid and the colony is disrupted whilst it guzzles it all.

My mate is trying this with his Bees. So far some of his bees have taken the feed while others have left it untouched. I have treated mine and have just started feeding them.

my hives are so light on stores that i am feeding all except one hive while the apiguard is on, just 2ltres of 1.5 to 1 plus vit c and a drop of lemon grass oil to make them aware something is in the feeder,

not a full winter feed just enough to last a few days feed and keep them from starving

400 varrao drop in first week with apiguard, on a colony that had a varroa drop average of 10 per week just before apiguard

Same as MM. Since 2nd week august 3 of 4 hives have had 2l / week for. Now feeding stopped (as of 21-08) to apigaurd, but I will check for stores before the second treatment goes on and if necessary will give them another 2l then (feeding 2:1 + 1 drop lemongrass + 0.5g thymol per 6 ltr mix).

My girls had very poor stores when I checked a couple of weeks ago so I started feeding at the same time as Apiguarding to prevent starving. Problem was, despite having space in the brood box to store it, they made loads and loads of brace comb in the Apiguard eke space and filled it with my syrup!! I had given them quite a bit already so stopped feeding and left the brace comb loose on top of the frames. Today went to put the second Apiguard in and they had moved all the stores down from the brace comb into the brood box (tidy girls). I will check the status after the end of treatment and give more sugar syrup at that point if they need it.

Buzz Bee - how deep is your eke? For Apiguard it only needs to be 25mm/1". If you give them more space they will fill it as you have found out:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
I have been advised to treat and feed at the same time - with a contact feeder. The first treatment of apiguard was nearly all gone when I changed it yesterday, with plenty of dead varroa on the tray.

Buzz Bee - how deep is your eke? For Apiguard it only needs to be 25mm/1". If you give them more space they will fill it as you have found out:biggrinjester:

It is the standard £5 apiguard eke from one of the bee retailers. I agree though, I think it is too deep so next year I am going to make my own and make it a bit shallower. Thanks for the advice.

although the more experienced on here will confirm or deny, but fondant may be a better alternative to syrup when Apiguarding...

Fondant is not really taken down into the colony and stored like syrup, it's most consumed immediately (which is all a colony can do in the depths of winter when it's most often used), so giving them fondant during the active season is not really a help - if they are that close to starvation you need to give them syrup.

Adam

Latest posts

Back