Feeding and treating - reasoning please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
I understand that most people tend to treat and feed at separate times, but seem not to treat and feed in the same period.

My question is that if this is some form of taboo, why?

I have 14x12 hives and have made my feeders with a depth of approx 12mm under the base of the feeder. I would like to feed and apply the first treatment at the same time and I am happy that there will be sufficient movement of air to carry the fumes about.

So, for those of you with experience rather than just opinions, what's the gen please?

I feed and treat at the same time.....treatment is thymol...feed is part thymol...never had any problems...the mites die just the same if not better,because as the bee's are fanning more to reduce the moisture content of the feed, and are also fanning around the thymol fumes at the same time.
Never thought there was any kind of taboo about it....both need doing in the autumn...mostly at the same time.

Last edited:
normally i try to feed after treatment but this year my bees are starving so doing both

i think the "thinking" is that if you feed then bees are likley to ignore the apiguard/thymol patties and do not distribute it by transporting it through the hive

which is why you place at the back of the hive rather than near the entrance

but i have just got a drop of over 1000 on one hive i am feeding so, it works while feeding

I also feed and treat at the same time even if the weather is poor the colony needs to be opened and fed to ensure they have enough stores for winter.

No excuses for any hive to starve in autumn.

Thanks gents, two quality answers from trusted sources, I couldn't ask for more. :)

Latest posts

Back