Feeding a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen several comments recently on threads to the effect that a hived swarm should not be overfed as this causes the newly drawn comb to be filled with feed and no room for egg laying. I have a prime swarm (from another of my own hives). National Brood box full of fresh foundation. Can someone recommend how much to feed and for how long please? I currently have a half gallon contact feeder of 2:1, been on six hours. Thanks. Keith

At this time of year I'd take the feed off and let them draw the frames out using nectar they bring in naturally.....

you'd be surprised at just how quickly they'll pull the frames out when in "swarm mode".....

the speed they go at it is dependant on the size of the swarm, obviously, but they will still go all out from the off

:iagree:

BUT if the weather changes and it is not possible for the bees to forage for a few days give them a pint or so every three or four days. A frame feeder is invaluable for this.:cheers2: Mike

Assuming..... your weather holds then they do not need feeding.

My latest arrivals are busy drawing out comb, Manley at that, and have not had a drop of feed from me. I think they came in on Friday, but cannot be sure, and they have to supers half drawn already.

Sorry to say they have been relocated to a brood box... LOL and have it all over to do again.

PH

Latest posts

Back