Feeding a colony fondant into winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was suggested that I leave the frames of honey near the hives for the bees to take it back in to the brood box.
Definitely very poor advice - from a poor beekeeper I would then suggest. Yes, not a good idea, can cause robbing, attrract wasps and spread of disease. But well done, worked out yourself that it was an unwise move :)

15 boxes we bought I've some left but for the future I wouldn't mind getting it cheaper.
The way they have got through it I might need more the blighters.
I bought 30 boxes from Bako south east this year for under £10/12.5kg free delivery for £150. I think I'm going to need another £150 worth!

Check out
https://www.chocolatefalls.co.uk/beekeepersI got two x12.5 Kg for £23 plus a small courier charge (can't recall but it was less than a fiver)
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked it for next year. :D
I see they do discounts for BKAs too so that's something to look into. I think more people in our association are moving over to autumn fondant instead of syrup.

Above the crownboard (a poly one with 2 holes). I didn't feed them syrup but because I had missed the chance to get the honey extracted it was suggested that I leave the frames of honey near the hives for the bees to take it back in to the brood box. They certainly did clear it, but I now think it was not such a good idea because it might have encouraged robbing.
Do most people just winter the bees in the brood box or is it better to leave them with a super of honey?
Thank you for all the help there is on this site, I really hope I can get the bees through the winter and start again next year with a bit more confidence and a lot more knowledge.
Granted there are a multitude of opinions in how to keep bees but who advised you to leave frames of honey out as open feeding? I struggle to understand the thought process behind such advice. You end up creating an assembly point for your bees, feral bees, other keepers bees, wasps, flies, Hornets and every other honey eating insect in range. Great method of transmitting diseases and parasites!

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked it for next year. :D
I see they do discounts for BKAs too so that's something to look into. I think more people in our association are moving over to autumn fondant instead of syrup.
It's so much easier I can see why, all my feeding this autumn has consisted of feeding fondant.
It will be interesting to see in the spring how colonys build up again using fondant as my soul stimulate.
K. I. S. S. :whistle:.

Granted there are a multitude of opinions in how to keep bees but who advised you to leave frames of honey out as open feeding? I struggle to understand the thought process behind such advice. You end up creating an assembly point for your bees, feral bees, other keepers bees, wasps, flies, Hornets and every other honey eating insect in range. Great method of transmitting diseases and parasites!
Did you see S. B. s video on fb he was doing just that this autumn.
Not a very good practice at all..
I don't know if the video was removed?

I'm in my first year as a beekeeper in Kent with two hives going into winter. I was advised not to leave any supers on but to feed fondant. I put the first block on 3 weeks ago and have just checked - gone completely in both hives. How many blocks might they get through? They had some frames of honey stores, but I'm not sure what is considered 'sufficient' for the winter. They are still out and about on most days, we have only had a few frosts but not much forage I shouldn't think now. Any help much appreciated.
A lot of beekeepers are adding more than normal, the weather in my area is bouncing between freezing and warm 14C last week, apart from a little of the last ivy around they don't have much to fly for but still go out to defecate and forage for water, that requires energy in the form of carbohydrate = fondant, the danger now is putting on a 2kg fondant and thinking that's going to last, it probably will not ! the good news is Black Friday sales are on !

This is definitely not the right product for bees, it has amongst other things a caking agent that will definitely not be good for your bees !

Please view this link White Fondant Icing :: BAKO Select

and then tell us where it mentions a "caking agent"

The ingredients appear to be sugar, glucose syrup, and water?

As such, it appears to be entirely the right product for bees?

Last edited:
Yes, but for just two hives you wouldn’t need a “shedful“ and the overall cost can be acceptable, despite the cost per kilo being more than a volume purchase would be.

I recently bought from “cake stuff” 12.5 kg for £23.91 delivered. Bako Select fondant. Approx £2 per kilo to keep the beasties alive? Well worth it in my view.
Britannia superfine ltd much better than Bako

Latest posts

Back