Feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So, just thinking about what kit to buy for next year. I was thinking ashforth's, but what are the opinions on what feeders to use when?

Ed.

Next year? When?

Different feederers are appropriate in different circumstances, so what circumstances are you considering them for?

Ashforths are irrelevant in late winter/early spring.

RAB

if you just have one hive in the back garden or close to home with easy inspection access, you can get way with a £5 2lt rapid round feeder,, you may in the weeks you are feeding need to top it up twice a week but if you are new you would problably feel you want to see how your bees are feeding anyway

a larger feeder like thornes ashworth , larger rapid green plastic feeders by maisemore and park Bees or thornes, vacuum formed drop in feeders are ok for autumn fed when you have a large number of hives and are feeding gallons of feed at a time but these have their disadvantage such as mouldy feed, overfeeding and spills of syrup moving large unstable containers

but in the first year the amount of feeding depends on lots of other factors 1] standard or 14x12 brood 2} date you get your Nuc 3] nectar flow in your area 4] amount of honey you take off

a beginner on our site has all the kit and is running a July nuc in a 14x12 and has only needed to feed 4ltr of syrup to bring it to yate's recomended weight another on standard brood and 15lbs of honey taken off has already fed 8ltrs

just a couple of hives in the bark garden, so a rapid feeder it is. Thanks for your help.

I use ashforths on my commercials. I find them very good so far. I prefer them over my rapid feeder.

You do need to make sure the syrup does not go mouldy. Other than that I find them fine.

I also use them when I need to feed fondant. By turning them upside down gives me enough space to put the fondant. Saves buying an eke or using a full size super.

I find Ashforths work very well. Firstly my supplier of colonies had a similar type of feeder on the hive when I collected the 2 new colonies last May. I noticed he had trays in the feeder and wax comb pieces therein. I found the bees loved to feed out of the comb. I of course had to refill regularly - about every 2 weeks - but that was no a problem for me.
Secondly, I found that my bees liked to feed on Fondent which I placed in the Ashforth feeder last winter. So I will clear out the comb at the end of oct in preparation for fondant.
I would say that I am a lot warmer here in the winter.
I did try other bulk feeders but I had so many problems - with drowning bees etc.
Michael

Miller/Ashforth are best for autumn feeding. In winter the only suitable feed is fondant as they can eat it as it is without any further processing and the best place for it is on top of the brood frames on a flat plastic tray within an eke. That ensures the cluster can get at it quickly as they need it and being above the cluster it does not go too solid for them to use it. Sticking it in a Miller or Ashforth feeder is not preferable imho.

if you just have one hive in the back garden or close to home with easy inspection access, you can get way with a £5 2lt rapid round feeder,, you may in the weeks you are feeding need to top it up twice a week but if you are new you would problably feel you want to see how your bees are feeding anyway

I have the 2 ltr rapid feeders on my two home based hives and being a newbie check them regularly, both hives are taking down at least 1 ltr a day and have taken 2 ltrs over the last 2 days (poor weather). If the hives were further away I would at least be looking at the jumbo rapid feeders.

Latest posts

Back