Feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
I gave my bees some 2:1 syrup this afternoon (18'C) and used a rapid feeder above the crown board. I only put about a pint in the feeder as I remembered that PolyHive said, in another thread, to feed them slowly so they don't block up the brood nest with syrup.

Which feeder should be used at this time of year? Contact, Rapid, Frame, Miller etc ....

I know the physical characteristics of each feeder but in this instance does it make a difference which feeder you use?

Does a "Rapid" feeder get emptied more quickly than a frame feeder or a contact feeder?

Is it easier for the bees to take syrup from a frame feeder as it is already in the brood chamber?

How quickly depends on how big they are!

Easier from the point of view that it is at hive temperature.

Needs coverboard removing which might be a small disadvantage, but I find them a good
dependable way to feed if necessary. 'Bruised' stores should supply most energy feed, but if they are short of stores.....bigger feeders may be necessary, but not so much that they clog up that laying area.

I would not feed 2:1 (sugar:water) at this time, normally.

All rather a 'balancing act' at this time of the year, until the main flow starts. Personally I feed as little as I can get away with. Water and diluted honey from the stores; adding a frame of stores, if necessary to avoid starvation, means all the honey in the hive is proper honey from square one.

Regards, RAB

I am feeding 1;1 feed at the mo with vita life in it as one colony is weaker and has had diarrhoea. I use contact feeders as it means I don't have to remove the cover board but they do seem to seep feed into the eke sometimes which is a pain.

Floss

Spring feed is usually 1:1 strength.

I prefer frame feeders in general, and for winter feeding in wooden hives I used to employ two, one on each wall so as to also act as an air gap for warmth.

Which the bees prefer I have no idea but frame feeders work well for me and have done for many years now.

The point of the feeding as said several times already this spring is to supply a small income to boost the bees morale and to give them a handy water source.

I give a pint or so once a week. So I am not feeding heavily. Just a wee drappie ye ken?

PH

sorry all, it is 1:1 I'm feeding :conehead:. 1 pound sugar to 1 pint water.

As it will hopefully be warmer next time I feed, I'll use frame feeders. One of the colonies is quite small and went into winter on the front 3 frames (warm way). Should I remove a frame of stores from the back of the hive and replace with the feeder or put it closer to the front 3 frames?

Last edited:
sorry all, it is 1:1 I'm feeding :conehead:. 1 pound sugar to 1 pint water.

As it will hopefully be warmer next time I feed, I'll use frame feeders. One of the colonies is quite small and went into winter on the front 3 frames (warm way). Should I remove a frame of stores from the back of the hive and replace with the feeder or put it closer to the front 3 frames?

i feed 1/2 to 1 for thee first feeds then 1 to 1,, its supposed to mimick early nector

I feed 1:2 syrup in spring that bees need not evaporate water when they store the sugar. I feed them quite seldom in spring.

I accelerate brooding with pollen patty. It has 50% sugar . That period takes 2 months.

Latest posts

Back