Feeder, should I keep it on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have a feeder on top of my brood box, should I remove it now or leave it for a while longer?

you could be in a mider area than me due to the gulf stream, but i have taken mine off as it is getting too cold for the girls to fan down the syrup to cap as stores

they may still store the syrup but it is likley to go off and ferment and give the girls diarrhoea

I still have a feeder on top of my brood box, should I remove it now or leave it for a while longer?

Susan 1,

A little more info required here.
How much have you fed them? How quickly are they taking down the feed ? Do you have any idea of the amount of capped stores they have now?

You may get away with feeding syrup for a little longer but if they are very short you should switch to fondant.

Ben P

rule of thumb is they won't take down syrup at less than 10 degrees. I have switched to fondant.

Keith, isn't the problem that they will keep taking down syrup in this warm weather but won't proccess and cap it? As someone has already posted, if the weather turns you could have frames of mouldering syrup.
Richard

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think the bees have plenty of stores. I had a very quick peep last weekend and there were about 4 frames of stores. I ook the sugar eeder off and will look into getting some fondent.

"I think the bees have plenty of stores. I had a very quick peep last weekend and there were about 4 frames of stores."

4 FULL frames of stores in a standard national equates to only 16lbs. The bees need 40+ lbs.

FONDANT ++ STAT!

Back