Feed, Treat or both ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifrogs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Can anyone advise if it is too early to start autumn feeding and apiguard treatment, and can I do both together ? I have two colonies, both were small swarms/casts late this year, one colony is covering about 5 frames in the BB, the other is larger. Both queens are laying well and I don't want to disrupt them but am having first winter worries as I am unsure to the best course of action. Any tips would be most welcome.
Thanks

Minifrogs

If they are getting enough forage and are expanding keep them going as long as practical - it is only the beginning of August and last year the season went on and on and on....I would feed weak syrup if they need some help to contiue drawing comb. it doesn't sound like they need it - at the moment, but I am only guessing.

Apiguard any time now - read the instructions - doesn' t look as though you are going to be collecting from a late nectar flow. Do they need treating is the first question? Are you monitoring mite drop? If mite levels are dictating a treatment, get on with it ASAP.

Let's be honest, one never knows whether one's decisions were right until after the event. With autumn feeding - as late as possible but you must not be too late! So advice is always do with plenty of time to spare. I am not planning on feeding this month. But I have enough hives to rearrange stores and unite colonies. It is harder the fewer colonies you have, in this respect.

Never discount the possibility you may need to unite your two colonies before winter, but keep thinking positively and working towards both being strong by the end of the season.

Regards, RAB

Regards, RAB

If they are getting enough forage and are expanding keep them going as long as practical - it is only the beginning of August and last year the season went on and on and on....I would feed weak syrup if they need some help to contiue drawing comb. it doesn't sound like they need it - at the moment, but I am only guessing.

Apiguard any time now - read the instructions - doesn' t look as though you are going to be collecting from a late nectar flow. Do they need treating is the first question? Are you monitoring mite drop? If mite levels are dictating a treatment, get on with it ASAP.

Let's be honest, one never knows whether one's decisions were right until after the event. With autumn feeding - as late as possible but you must not be too late! So advice is always do with plenty of time to spare. I am not planning on feeding this month. But I have enough hives to rearrange stores and unite colonies. It is harder the fewer colonies you have, in this respect.

Never discount the possibility you may need to unite your two colonies before winter, but keep thinking positively and working towards both being strong by the end of the season.

Regards, RAB

Regards, RAB
Hi, I submitted a similar request for info earlier in the season I had bought a 5 frame nuc and after installing into a hive and checking several weeks later I found the varroa count very high, I wondered if I should treat/feed or both. Much to the disgust of my old Beek tutor (obnoxious man) I decided to treat with Apiguard, which worked well but really knocked the brood production back by about 5 weeks. The queen is only now really starting to lay properly but has put on a real spurt of activity. I guess she was put off laying by the smell of the treatment?
The varroa count is now back to a reasonable level 1-2 mites a week which I will continue to monitor.
Hope this helps
Cheers

I submitted a similar request

Stiffy,

Couldn't find it. Was it on this forum?

Regards RAB

Back