feed and rape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I have just lifted of the lid and given them some 1.1 syrup as they don't want to start drawing out the new foundation up top.But they are bringin in lots of rape pollen , so will they bother touching the sugar?
I didn't touch the frames as i'm not the quickest more like the slowest :ack2:
at inspecting them and it's not that warm today here on the IOW.
By the looks of what i could briefly see ,they are on all the BB frames( the bees that is).
I will have a better look in the week when it warms up.
I gave them 1kg of syrup how long will take for them to use it , if they decide too?

how many frames are these bees properly covering and how many frames have brood on?

one mistake I used to make (not saying you are) was over estimating how many frames are covered, also its still cool and this effects them, I have bees on 10/11 frames all with brood but they cant leave them to work the super as its too cold to leave the brood.

How can bees work supers when many are low on stores anyway - I have actually removed supers today to place feeds back on.

JD

Last edited:
when i got the hive 2 wk ago the note pined on it said 7 frames brood out of 11 frames .
I took there word for it as i no , no better. But this is a safe bet due to where i live and the Island BKA selling them. I didn't lift any today so have no idea how much brood is there.

Expanded to 7 frames is my magic number to add a super, but there is no guarantee they will draw out the foundation even if you try to feed them until they want to do it...

But hey thats carni's for you. :willy_nilly:

Expanded to 7 frames is my magic number to add a super, but there is no guarantee they will draw out the foundation even if you try to feed them until they want to do it...

But hey thats carni's for you. :willy_nilly:

Yes it also said on the note put a super on in 2-3 days after moveing.
Just they haven't read the note :toetap05:

Latest posts

Back