Favourite Bee Book?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widdershins

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
What, in your opinion, is the most helpful Bee-book you have read/own?

My fav 3 are:

Practical Beekeeping - Clive De Bruyn
bee's and honey - ted hooper
Honey farming - R.O.B Manley

Just received in the post today from Northern bee books,Brother Adam beekeeping at Buckfast abbey.

I will set a poll up for voting for best books to own.

Thanks - are they suitable for beginners and intermediate?

Ted Hooper Bees and bee keeping

Well, I dont have Cliv De Brun's - but Ted Hoopers is a mainstay in my household!

i think Ted Hooper's Bees and Honey plus the DEFRa leaflets on the pests and diseases... then you are fully up to date.

Yeah, got given those by the Bee Inspector, and sent some with our membship stuff.

Ted hoopers book is a good basic beginners book,then honey farming by ROB Manley when you have some experiance,as Rob tends to address issues as if you allready know most of what you are doing.

I have the new edition of the ABC & XYZ of beekeeping.

Waterstones will order it for £18 from the states,takes about 4-5 weeks to arrive but its a great price for a book that has thousands of pages with pictures,the candle making and queen rearing sections are nice.

Have heard of this book but not seen it,what would it cost here,or is it only availible from states.

I am not 100% sure but I think I have seen it for around £36

Your local Waterstones will order for you for £18

LOL sold to the man above,it must of been the queen rearing bit that did it.

No i know plenty enough about queen rearing,and thats another of my projects,with a few others.

Wedmore's Manual of beekeeping has been an interesting read recently. Quite a lot of Farenheight temperatures though...

This week I am reading the German version of In Search of the Best Strains of Bees by Brother Adam.

The book I would recommend t beginners is Ted Hooper's Bees & Honey, as its easy to follow and the basics are all there.
The book I would recommend a beekeeper of 3 years or more would be Form & Function by Lesley Goodman, in this book it shows with excellent diagrams the actual form of the bee and how it functions.

Regards; Bcrazy:seeya:

Ive seen this
Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
by Ross Conrad
on amazon, and wondered what it was like - any good?

That one sells on ebay,it may be cheaper,not read it myself yet.

I have a couple of books that are dated 1940 and 1945.

The first one is The Anatomy Physiology & Natural History of the Honey Bee by W. Herrod-Hempsall in this publication there are pictures taken of the internal organs of the Honey Bee, which in those days it was something out of the ordinary to see photos of the internal organs. A lot of what is written has been superseded but its easy to see how they came to certain conclusions.
This publication has been signed by W. H-H. FRES

The next book is ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture the A.I. Root Library.
Again with the older books there is a lot of out of date stuff, but in general what they were saying in those days gone by, still holds true today. Very USA orientated but full of good information.

Regards;

Back