Fav Nuc Mods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Nuc building time! 2 required for next season me thinks. Goes without saying that it will be based on a "Hedgerow" but in accoradnace with historical pressident (we have mod national, mod commercials after all) I thought I'd create the "Modified Hedgerow"

They will be 14x12 capacity, 5 frames. There is enough in a 2.4 x 1.2 ply sheet for a built to size Ashforth as well.

Best tips and added design features much appreciated. I'll try and post a summary and build notes when I'm done.

Tx Rosti.

Nuc building time! 2 required for next season me thinks. Goes without saying that it will be based on a "Hedgerow" but in accoradnace with historical pressident (we have mod national, mod commercials after all) I thought I'd create the "Modified Hedgerow"

They will be 14x12 capacity, 5 frames. There is enough in a 2.4 x 1.2 ply sheet for a built to size Ashforth as well.

Best tips and added design features much appreciated. I'll try and post a summary and build notes when I'm done.

Tx Rosti.

just mine :-

- OMF a must
- ideally detachable floor for stacking nucs
- nuc splitable - with a board down centre
- 2 entrances opposite sides
- cover board with 2" hole
- roof has 8mm rim gap to sit proud
- make feeder/treatment eke to sit on nuc (deep)
- dont use wooden plugs for entrances!!!! (they swell up and get stuck)
- ensure entrances are level with floor - ish

JD

I always cut the entrance on poly nucs about two thirds of the way up. This way if you have to stand them in grass for a while the entrance remains clear. I do this when splitting a hive down into separate nucs and putting them in a circle around the original hive - as described by Vince Cook.

The bees don't seem to mind the higher entrance and with poly nucs it allows you to feed the bees by squirting syrup directly inside - unless you cut a varroa floor of course which I have done to some. Then it tends to dribble outrather rapidly - but you can put in a home made foil tray.

I always cut the entrance on poly nucs about two thirds of the way up. This way if you have to stand them in grass for a while the entrance remains clear. I do this when splitting a hive down into separate nucs and putting them in a circle around the original hive - as described by Vince Cook.

The bees don't seem to mind the higher entrance and with poly nucs it allows you to feed the bees by squirting syrup directly inside - unless you cut a varroa floor of course which I have done to some. Then it tends to dribble outrather rapidly - but you can put in a home made foil tray.

Understand, I always attach feet to the base of my nucs to raise them up - rather the feet rot than the nuc.

The reason for placing the entrance low down was to allow easy removal of rubbish and dead bees.

Cheers

Jez

well what can i say , i have never been modified in my life, well not to my knowlegde, sorry rosti but all my nucs are set up for 12 x 14 i only do standards for other people when they want nuc,s

as for the list of mods you and jezd want to do then fair play go for it and give it some , but i want to see photos for inspection afterwards, but i warn you i was always taught to keep it simple which works for me. all my ideas are starting points or disscussion points so go with them where ever you want

love pete

Latest posts

Back