Faulty mite drop count?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconcerned

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have trays in at the moment to monitor mite drop. I could hear rustling under a hive just now and pulled out the tray by torchlight. On the tray i found there were a few woodlice, a few earwigs, and 2 garden beetles, (which I think are carnivorous?). With all that going on during the hours of darkness I think the mite count could be affected. What do you think?

I have trays in at the moment to monitor mite drop. I could hear rustling under a hive just now and pulled out the tray by torchlight. On the tray i found there were a few woodlice, a few earwigs, and 2 garden beetles, (which I think are carnivorous?). With all that going on during the hours of darkness I think the mite count could be affected. What do you think?

smear vaseline on the varroa board and tell us if the count is higher, it would be interesting to see

Wasps, sparrows?

A neat pile sounds more like the work of a fieldmouse.

Returning to the original thread, yes I'm sure that the count will be affected by your natural predators, and I don't know if vaseline would put off a determined beetle or whatever after captive prey..

In any case, remember that mite drop is just a convenient 'dipstick' to assess varroa level, and that fortunately most treatment is a precaution and not a cure. You don't actually need accurate counts for it to work.

Latest posts

Back