Fatal height for swarm collecting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless swarm in a tree trunk etc - bring the swarm down to YOU.
Attach a frame with a little brood to a strong pole- leave supported up near the swarm- they will slowly cover brood- lower pole... swarm collected!! :cheers2:

Heather, that sounds like a really neat trick!

Anything more than standing on a kitchen chair is too high for me - I'm a big scaredy when it comes to heights.

Well it worked for me- about 20' up. Tied a boat pole onto the long pruners. But be warned the swarm is VERY heavy as you slowly lower. :ack2: Needs two to control

All this talk of swarm collecting leaves me with one question! How do people know to call you to collect a swarm? Is this some kind of local arraignment with the council or is it organised by a local society?

Just curious really…

LOL It's a secret society and so if you have to ask.....

PH

what you need peebles is a goat three chickens( with heads on for now) one trouser leg rolled up and a pound of whipped cream. ha ha ha ha ha ha

seriously what i have done is dropped a letter explaining who and what I am to these people listed below localy to where i want to work, a couple of cards in each envolope helps aswell, I work away from home so took advantage last year to advertise at work and brought two swarms home from newbury aswell as birmingham

At work , i stick up posters in the canteen, bee swarms colleted
Allotment on the sheds, I also collected an estate agents sign and used the white plastic to advertise on the allotment fence.
The police, yep Mr. plod gets quite a few phone calls durring the season
The fire Brigade station, several in my area and they all have my details
socsial clubs, schools collages, gyms, judo club,any notice board I can find realy
The council, I am on a list at several departments as they never speak to each other and they all all get phone calls, Enviomental department as a general rule deal with most enquiries but so does the main reception ( card on wall near lady on the phones) also try the parks department, the allotment department the socsial servives dept. and any others that you can think of

all this advertisement will produce lots and lots of phone calls from near hysterical people what you have to do now is learn to screen the calls, otherwise you will get so much agro that you spend a fourtune in petrol for nothing

a classic case works some thing like this.
client ,bring bring" hello" " help i have a millons bees attacking a tree in my garden, the kids are screaming blue murder the house is going to fall over . ect ect ect"
me, "what sort of insects are they , bees or wasps"
client " flying ones" "millons of them, they look like the killer bees i have seen on tv, they are about a foot across and 18 inchs long and are blue with pink spots"
me " ok where are they "
client " outside eating a tree, and they look to be eying up the pet dog"
me, ok dont panic , just shut the doors and windows to the back garden and I will pop over after work"
Client " thats to late by then they would have finished eating the tree used it as a battering ram and eaten two of the kids by then

and the conversation just goes on and on

the other thing that happens is that the council, police, fire will use you to deal with any calls relatting to insects as your a bee keeper and there fore it would not cost them any time or money to send you instead of a member of staff

a classic one last year is i went over to an old couples house as they had a swarm of biblical proportions in there bathroom and were unable to use it, i turned up spoke to the owners asked for my £25 and went off to the bath room collected to TWO BUBBLE BEES and left, go figure that out

People Google 'swarm bees' and 'area' and names come up. Just register with your Assoc that you are prepared to collect and you will be added to the system.

Answer is 4 feet.

Yes that's all...........4feet

PH

Phew - what a relief: I will be safe because I only have two feet! (Mind you, I have not really been right since I fell on my head that once).

last year, before Pete offered me his I contacted the local association, and they gave me quite a cold shoulder...

... they suggested I can join their local grouplet, but there are dozens of members on the list for a swarm before me so the chances of getting one was slim...

... so i didn't bother joining.. the tone was not exactly welcoming.

I did not put associations up as I am not part of one apart from this massive forum ha ha ha

most of the general public do not phone thier local assoc just the council or the local pest control firm

try throwing a few cards at your local pest control firmas they put swarms my way as well

our assoc has a nominated swarm person. We have a short piece on the local district council website with his details on it. The local police know him as well :svengo: and his details are on our website.

It works very well. I was called twice last year to pick up local swarms.
I won't collect anything above 8'

Hi

IT REALLY MUST HAVE BEEN A LONG WINTER IF PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING FALLS FROM 4FT, AND ANGLES/RATES OF DECENT.

Get out and clean some kit..................;)

Regards Ian

:iagree:

I kicked of this thread for a very valid reason. Safety for the membership.

Pre reading this thread did you know that a 4 foot fall was potentially fatal? I rather think not.

Will it temper your enthusiasm for swaying dangerously on top of a rickety ladder hoping for that plum swarm. Hopefully yes.

I come from a safety culture and hoped, probably optimistically to help some one reduce their risk.

Just think on the fatal four feet and be safe.

PH

this time last year, the winter sown OSR was 3ft tall about to flower, first flush of yellow buds..so frames made, supers scrubbed ready to go,

This year the winter OSR is about 4" high and is a srivelled purple colour...so nothing to do except wait...possible a month...so bored

Sorry PH I have disagree on the rational on this one, just because something is potentially dangerous doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it - I spent all my time as a kid climbing trees, and fell a few time too! I come from the life is for living culture :) and sleeping lol

Sorry PH I have disagree on the rational on this one, just because something is potentially dangerous doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it - I spent all my time as a kid climbing trees, and fell a few time too! I come from the life is for living culture :) and sleeping lol

My mate has a tree sugery buisness .

A few years ago one of his employes fell out of a tree LESS than 6' he was dead before my mate got 10' to his side !

Early twenties and fit as a fiddle and an experienced tree climber . But 6' is to low to be roped .

Just be SAFE one swarm is not worth dieing for .

The original question was: "How high do you have to be off the ground to have a fatal fall?"

The answer, after umpteen pages is.. whatever is high enough to kill you.

For myself a set of step ladders is high enough. I had several calls last year about swarms in chimneys. I refered the callers to pest control folk.

No mate the answer is 4 feet.

If you look at Pierpoints diary many of his drops were 5ft or just over.

4 feet is unlucky to say the least but it is still true.

If you feel bomb proof and there is always one... best of luck.

I did this as a heads up. And it seems to have had an impact... 6 pages in 24 hours?

PH

That fatal hight has been a problem to me. I got blood leaking in my head 6 years ago and next time it may kill or paralyze me.

So I planned long time what to do to swarm which rise up to trees.

RESULT:
Fist I throw a knife over the swarm and a light string is tied into knife.
With light string I lift a stong rope ver the swarm and then I lift with rope the swarm box to the site of swarm. Pulling from two rope heads I can set up the box.

Too light thing stays on branches. I tried fishing rod too but the string wtisted around branches.

Sounds easy but bees were not willing to go into the box.
I had swarm lure stuff and old comb in the box butthey did not help.
Then I took a laying queen from another hive and put it into cage and cage into the box. After that bees start to march in.

It was something wrong in my swarmbox because bees did not go in.

I will make a straw hive and try if bees like it more.

One important thing is first to make somehow the swarm wet that it does not move or escape. When sun goes down the swarm cacthing is much more easier than in bright sunshine.

seriously what i have done is dropped a letter explaining who and what I am to these people listed below localy to where i want to work, a couple of cards in each envolope helps aswell, I work away from home so took advantage last year to advertise at work and brought two swarms home from newbury aswell as birmingham

Interesting...

I may consider this in the future when I have more exsperience/confidence. At present I will leave the swarm collecting to others, unless I here of any pre-packed swarms between 0-4ft high that come with full instructions!

I suppose in the meantime i can sort out a goats head, i have the chickens already!

:)

Back