Fatal height for swarm collecting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeeping the lovely little darlings is hard enough on the back, so injuring myself to get them in the first place is not on my list of pleasures, if they are higher than steps can reach safely they stay for someone else or to move on

I'll pass over the H&S bit - what you do in your own time to yourself is your own damn fault. If you happen to fall and land on the householder who is watching your activities and hurt him, then prepare for legal action.

I'd always take the view that if it seems slightly dangerous, it probably is and you doing it without a harness means you are a prime candidate for this years Darwin awards !

That said - I have felled some trees in my time that probably broke all the rules - although it helps to have a good 4x4 all terrain forklift driver operating the bucket leaver...

I think at the end of the day, if you can mitigate the problem - we know from previous replies that 5+ feet results in injury of some kind (broken ankles to ruptured hearts) then perhaps a scaffold is a good bet - at least you can hang yourself from it if it all gets too much.

...to finish off with, a pal at University was going through a tough time - this involved drinking scotch at 10am most mornings unbeknownst to us - and one day the rest of us were outside kicking a rugby ball about when we heard a huge crash of breaking glass and a scream. he had decided to end it all by throwing himself through his first floor window.

We found him amidst the huge shards of glass - completely unharmed and not so much as a cut finger.

He had some explaining to do to the hall authorities about the window mind - guess it wasn't his time to go.

regards

S

Answer is 4 feet.

Yes that's all...........4feet

PH

rubbish........landing from 4 feet could be fatal but falling from4 or 40 feet would probably only cause fright while in the act of falling

rubbish........landing from 4 feet could be fatal but falling from4 or 40 feet would probably only cause fright while in the act of falling

falling from 4 feet would probably only cause fright while in the act of falling... it works both ways and is relative to the landing

My understanding is that a lot of it is down to physics (and inevitably, maths) - it all depends how long the "crash" goes on for..... Taking car/bike accidents as an analogy - if you drive into an immovable object (large tree, stone bridge), you're probably dead, even at a relatively low speed (the energy has all dissipated in a short time, hence the intensity has been high) BUT you can easily survive a very fast motorbike accident if you come off, and slide for several seconds, and the energy dissipates over a longer time, within the limits of the body to withstand it......(or a racing car spins itself to a halt, or gently slows in a gravel bed)
The local TV news a week or so ago was full of news about a leary spaniel that had survived a 300' cliff fail chasing a seagull - but I wouldn't recommend it as a hobby!

Hi

IT REALLY MUST HAVE BEEN A LONG WINTER IF PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING FALLS FROM 4FT, AND ANGLES/RATES OF DECENT.

Get out and clean some kit..................;)

Regards Ian

without the health and safety brigade getting involved who would require scaffolding, a license to put scaffolding up and a full on-site risk assesment..

In the real world, i personally am not the sort of person who would sue the council if I tripped over a paving sab. I would call myself stupid and curse a lot.

Fear is natures way to control behavior on what should or should not be safe and is relative to the fitness and agility of the individual person. We are all different and nobody should feel shame for feeling afraid\cautious.

Although aging quickly and rather lot below my old fitness levels, I still have no problem working on my father in laws farm, often on roofs, riding in his tractors bucket or hay prongs and balancing in some very strange places whilst working on electrics.... my history includes rockclimbing, freeclimbing, parachuting and paragliding but I still do things that make me wobble (10 feet up is scarier than 50 feet up). It is not about the money because I refuse any form of payment.

It is not about the money on whether i'd tackle a swarm or not... it is about how safe I would feel in the scenario whilst doing so.

... if you ae not entirly comfortable in doing the task at hand, then the task should be refused and left for someone that is more comfortable. (or call someone that is more comfortable!)

can you imagine the call, please can you collect a swarm so the ambulance crew can get to the first beekeeper as his leg is facing the wrong way.

Rubbish? Tell that to the widow of the mechanic who fell backwards off a 4 foot scaffold and hit his head on the deck. Dead.

PH

or they drown because they landed in the stream, and noone on the council has been trained in wearing and use of waders (I believe that actually happened!)

whilst every one is right with there answers, just to be completly differant hedgerow is going to answer the question a completly differant way.

I collect swarms when I am called apon, and most of the ones i get are the pain in the back side ones that most people have refused.

So lets talk basics and then get complicated after wards.
Just to be realy insulting to the neebees first, if its your first few times collecting swarms , only do the easy ones as these are easier to make and recover from a mistake with so stay on the ground or at the very most a few feet off the ground , but only if you are realy realy comfortable doing the swarm a few feet off the ground, at the end of the day why break you neck for a £100 swarm of poor quality bees you could also say that a few weeks of work will cost you easily a feww thousand pounds which is a new level of price for a swarm £1,000 or a box of bees is a little much realy

now lets start getting higher!

Steps are great to use if you have a decent pair of them i have some that i use for work these are exspensive class one grades one at 6 foot (£100) and another pair at 10 foot(£200) B and Q dont sell class one steps only domestic ones which are a little wobbly for safe use by me

sounds great so far but lets put soft grass under them and evan I am off the top head first so a couple of strong scaffold planks under neath the foot will steady us up, try seeing if we can fix(safely ) the top to the tree we are climbing up just as a belt and braces jobbie, now we are starting to get far beyond most peoples comfort zone when we get over 5 foot tall and i dont blame them, stick to what you are safe and comfortable with, and never over reach your steps, to be on the sfafe side you should never have less than three pooints of contact on your steps two feet and one hand, any less and your asking for trouble

want to go over 6 foot lets start talking ladders

I say this with as father of a family in mind, DONT BOTHER, unless you realy do use them so offten that you are very staedy as ladders are very deadly evan to hairy builders you can be as macho as you want but why be a dead macho man

Beings very used to working at hieght as part of my job i can work with ladders scaffolding and steps daily and can be very safe doing it , i also know my limits and my equipent limits, the highest i have ever gone with ladders is to look at a swarm 30 foot up, and thats all i did , I looked and then left, empty handed as i was not going to kill my self for a swarm of bees that i dont realy want

if i was going to use ladders you have to be very certain that what you are leaning them against will hold your and the ladders weight and you will have to tie the top rung to your tree to be safe

next up scafolds

being a hairy builder it is exceptable for me to "borrow a tower scafold from work for the night and to return it in the morning so thats my prefered way of going over 5 foot as i will have a safe flat platform to work from, how far up can i go easiy up to 40 foot if i have enough frames and out riggers to build it safely ( yes i have a training card and licence to know what i am doing is right and proper

the other part we have yet to talk of is what you are planning on doing when your up there, but thats another thread with a hedgerow massive speach to be attached

pete

tree bees

this is one i did last year sorry i dont have many other pic's, the tree is owned by the councill is going to be cut down the next day, several people had tried to shift the bees which are inside the tree at roughly 24 foot up , basicly were the tree has a forked branches about 3/4 the way up the person in white is me the lady is red(?) is a friend who was silly enough to come alone for the fun!!!!

we are building a aluminium tower scaffold here that will have working platform of 8 foot by 5 foot( standard builders jobbie, what you cant see is the fact that the council have closed one lane of the road and there is several press people there taking photos as wellView attachment 1458

Last edited:
I also did a house chimney last year which had to have a proper steel scaffolding built up for me so i could get to the swarm in the chimney pot and that was 50 foot up and very very difficult to work with. like i say its only to do what you are comfortable with and never ever over streach your self

the one point that everyone has missed so far and one i use when ever posible is to not climb up there in the frist place, I brough a extension pole from screw fix/tool station for a painters roller farme it is extendable to 12 foot and with me being 6 foot plus arm reach i am good for about 20 foot up at the end i have a roller bruch frame which is bent round and a pillow case on it with a piece of string sewn into the rim, shove it up under the swarm , band the tree branch so they fall into it and pull the string to catch them in it, bring it down and box it up , and my feet stay on the floor at all times, its great for picking apples with aswell later on in the season

I like this thread as it reminds me of a old Seinfeld joke, when working out the latest pain killer ie 'New Extra Extra Super Strong *brand name*' the thinking was to find out what would kill you and then back it off a notch :)

So find the height thats gona kill me and then pull it down a foot lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back