Fat lady not singing!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just collected a lovely prime swarm... someone will struggle to get their hive through the winter as most drones departed in my colonies...

Someone feeding too much too soon? - colony honeybound = swarm. It has happened before and no doubt will again.

Funny enough I am just (this second) about to collect a swarm that has made its home in some bushes - no chance of surviving the Winter so I need to 'hive' it today while its warm.

This swarm was was from July mind.

I am being asked if it was a hunger swarm- can someone please explain (yes I could look up but I value different opinions)

I thought if hungry they died in the hive- why would they leave and be more vulnerable - and do half leave?? - with queen??. If hungry- can they develop a new queen with precious royal jelly- I dont see it..
I can understand overfeeding- so overcrowded...going.

It's hard for us nee bees because everyone is saying to feed your bees and this should be done before the end of September. I did this and they made sealed queen cells which I removed. Asked for advise and people said there must be a problem with queen. Double checked things spoke to another member of the local bee association and we think its lack of space because I have been over feeding. The problem arises if your bees have lots to go at. Mine do and are as busy now as they were in the summer but not for as long.
But thats the problem being a new bee and we only learn from making mistakes.

Bees do nothing invariably.

I suspect a varroa swarm.

PH

Will treat tomorrow - just a nuisance they are in a poly nuc so no OMF

Latest posts

Back