farm grade disinfectants and red mite attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest you call a professional in.
Ficam W and Stingray are expensive and dangerous chemicals to use.
Creosote, diesel and anything else not approved for the control of mite will have adverse effects. Disinfectants used to control, viruses are also not going to work

When I was last in our Ag merchants, they had old fashioned creosote in stock specifically for chicken sheds!

Hi pete
I had the same problem ( well chickens did, not me)
I tried everything and finally cured the problem with creosote on shed and harkers spot on endectocide
You use one drop under each wing so no wet chivkens
Approved for racing pigeons
Works a treat. Girls were fully feathered again in about 4 weeks
Never had a problem since on birds or shed
Cost £9 from ag supplier
Good luck

I suggest you call a professional in.
Ficam W and Stingray are expensive and dangerous chemicals to use.
Creosote, diesel and anything else not approved for the control of mite will have adverse effects. Disinfectants used to control, viruses are also not going to work

I know they are expensive, and dangerous. That is why you cannot use most treatments when the birds are housed. I also need to be sure that it will work, I only get 2 weeks to clean out 12,000 birds.

There are plenty of products that work well, it is trial and error. I have never had success with stingray. Elanco elector can be sprayed with the eggs still present, but good agricultural practice suggests they be removed. It attacks the nervous system so takes a while to work.

I did point out that disinfectants would only work if they are capable of dissolving wax, viricides on there own won't work. Ecofoam works well, in fact you can see the green foam come out of the walls where it is dissolving the mites.

Hemexsan is a diatom, I buy it by the tonne from heaton export. Works out around £12 - £15 for 25kg sack.

I get all my farm chemicals from http://www.farmchem.co.uk/

Stingray not failed me yet ... 12000 birds.....phew!

Hi,try ficam w,it's not dangerous if you use it properly and works without "fowl" for me.It is expensive so i suggest you share the cost if you can with someone else who has a mite problem.Comes in a p v a sachet which you drop in a 5 litre sprayer,spray in a fine jet not a mist,and give the shed a good soaking and leave a day to dry before you put the birds back.I dont spray in the nest box's, because i have never needed too.Hope this helps.

Ficam W is for "Professional use only" So amateurs using it are breaking the law...even though it is legal to buy it.
Here's more
http://www.pestcontrol-expert.com/bayer/cropscience/bespestcontrol.nsf/id/30C4E98DE0AE4673C1257984005605B4/$file/safety_profile.pdf

The only problem using stuff designed for racing pigeons is that the chickens are fast enough as it is. :)

Latest posts

Back